Wednesday, July 1, 2009

We are finally getting some much-needed rain. I got a few minutes to sit out in my garden earlier today and read the Bible. It was kind of hard to sit there and relax as I noticed all the weeds that had popped up! Yesterday I transplanted a "volunteer" morning glory at the base of one of the new "baby crib rail" trellises. I didn't have a watering can out there with me and so today it looked a little weak. I am thankful for the rain this afternoon that will give it the boost it needs.



What's new in the garden? My squash are blossoming out in the veggie garden as well as the beans and potatoes. I'm not sure there's anything new in the flowers except maybe a bee balm of a different color is about to open. Several large, showy lilies are soon to open as well. Some of them have an incredibly lovely scent and I always enjoy their debut. I saw a really beautiful garden at an antique store yesterday. It was large, yet conveniently situated for working. It was full of flowers but surrounded by stone walls about a foot high that held it all in place. I'll consider a design like that for any new flower garden I'll ever make since it looked like it would be easy to care for.



I noticed that the black raspberries are ready to pick. Pretty soon, I'll have to get out there to get them. I just finished making the jelly from all the ones in the freezer from last year. It seems like it's too soon to do all that again, but we surely do go through that jelly!



It was another day of small accomplishments. I made a few needed preparations for the second book and went out to lunch with Rhiannon. She and I had won a gift card and wanted to use it and it worked out conveniently for her to meet me today. I also did a little sleuthing and pricing on materials for my paper-making venture. This involved checking some internet instructions and checking out yet another book from the library. This one finally gave the information I needed. I was looking for someone to give instructions that did not involve making a wooden frame for the paper shaping. I finally found a suggestion in a book that will get me (actually Clint) out of a lot of work. I can make this frame myself in two minutes and it's all over! This morning I called three major craft stores only to discover that no one sells the supplies. I was overjoyed to learn I can build this myself! I plan to do that tomorrow. Will keep you posted on the outcome.



I was trying to spend a little more time in the scriptures today. I was touched by one verse in particular that I have marked in my Bible. It is Deuteronomy 4:4 "But you who held fast to the Lord you God are alive today, every one of you." As far as I know this verse is speaking in reference to a plague that occurred following an incident of disobedience in the life of Israel. Those who refused to involve themselves in sinful behavior escaped death. What a good word for us to remember. In our day and age, we can apply this to holding fast to the Lord in a number of ways. I depend on this verse in many ways to remind me to believe when believing seems impossible. Another verse that seems to go along with it is the last half of Daniel 6:24, "...So Daniel was taken up out of the den, and no injury whatever was found on him, because he believed in his God." This verse certainly refers to a victorious incident when all natural sense would have seen the outcome to be different! I hope these two verses are an encouragement to you to believe in the face of great opposition! Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment