Friday, July 24, 2009

Hi, Friends! I haven't written anything for a while because I didn't do too much this week. I was nursing my sore back--a repeat from the first injury. I think it's finally healed and I'm thrilled. But sitting around was not exactly my cup of tea either. Got to knit and read a bit, though.

I did pick enough green beans for supper yesterday. After we got rain, things look a little healthier and refreshed although we could have used much more. I picked a few red raspberries as well. They are so good. A friend came today and picked some too.

We currently have company with us from Washington, Iowa. So nice to see our friend again. We often go out there and visit and enjoy every minute of our stay. We are glad to return the hospitality.

Today I spent the entire day with a couple of friends. So enjoyable. We were in Indiana and I must compliment the northern Indiana gardeners--wow! such beautiful flowers and vegetables! I love to go there this time of year and just tour the country roads and see the gardens.

Our friend that was visiting noticed a phenomenon. Our ten acres that adjoins the yard is sown in alfalfa. It never gets dry when all else is dry, brown and dead-looking. Does anyone know why? It remains green and this has been the topic of discussion here since he arrived. If anyone can shed light on that, please do. We have conjectured that the fertilizer may have something to do with it, but we are not sure. It is not irrigated, so that can't be a factor. We are hoping that the rain we got a few days ago will not be the end. We have a drought going on here and are anxious to see it stop!

In thinking about the alfalfa and how it remains so green, I was reminded of verses in Psalm 1. Speaking of the man who walks close to God and and meditates in the law of the Lord, the scripture declares, "He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper." If we want to remain healthy, vital and useful to God, we must stay close to Him and His word. As I watch alot of stuff withering right now during this drought, I am reminded to stay close to the Lord so I will not wither! Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment