Friday, July 31, 2009

LIFE EQUALS CHANGE

All you have to do is look around and you see change, change, change, every day. I didn't even make it out to the garden today since I was busy with other things, so I can't report on any change there! Yesterday I dug some potatoes and the way I determine that it's time to dig them is to wait until their tops die. CHANGE.

After my morning devotions and a load of laundry, floor mopping, and various other tasks, Clint and I went to the church to construct the Red Sea. Yes, the Red Sea! Clint was in charge of the Bible story tonight for the Bible school and he had to make a likeness of the Red Sea parting as in Exodus. By the time it was all done, one Sunday school room had CHANGED into the Red Sea and it looked pretty cool! We had foam fish purchased at a dollar store floating in our bathtub for a week so they would "grow" 6 times their original size for tonight's set up. They were strewn on the "ocean floor." The children were led through the "sea" by "Moses" (Clint all dressed up!) and their crew leaders.

I did not have a job at Bible school this year. I usually sign up for clean up or help out in the kitchen. I felt a little guilty for not signing up right away, but mid-week I realized that my role has CHANGED. For three nights I watched Emma so Kori could help out. Two of those nights we were at Bible school and one evening she stayed here at the house. I realized today that I am doing my part to help by being a good granny and taking Emma so Kori can volunteer. That's the way life goes and things CHANGE. My role is CHANGING and occasionally I sort of "wake up" to that fact after the fact! I can remember in years past teaching Bible school. Now, I watch Emma so someone else can teach. I guess that's how we pass on the baton of faith. We must take our parts wherever we can and enable others to step up to the plate. I felt like I was helping Emma learn to participate as we sat in the back and she danced and clapped to all the opening songs the nights we were there. Even at her little age, it was obvious that she wanted to participate. This was the beginning of instilling an eagerness to take part in the church.

I've been reading through the book of Timothy. In 2 Timothy, Paul tells the young pastor that he knows that the "genuine faith" dwelt first in Timothy's grandmother and then his mother and then Timothy himself. (2 Timothy 1:5). I hope that I can be the kind of grandmother that will one day have such things said to her grandchildren because I lived the faith. I guess things like babysitting while mom takes part in Bible school is one of those opportunities to pass the faith on. Positive change. Some little changes, like the babysitting, seem so little and insignificant at times, but the impact is eternal.

When I look back over my life, it's obvious that for the most part, changes happen gradually--especially when we're talking about people or spiritual progress. Yet, looking back over time the cumulative effects of little daily routines has now produced great results and big changes! I once heard a comment that claimed most folks can't remember the sermons they heard five years ago, let alone last week. Yet, most Christians have grown spiritually over those five years without even being able to highlight when and where. The cumulative effect of consistency produces positive change. So be encouraged today, especially you young moms, keep up the spiritual training of those little ones and one day you will see the results of all your hard work. The CHANGES will come and growth will occur! Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment