Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A SWEET-SMELLING AROMA

Another pretty day here in Michigan! The weather couldn't be nicer, but we do need rain. My poor gardens are thirsty. I have been watering, but the winds are making it senseless to water during the day and by the time they die down in the evening, it's nearly too late to begin watering. I don't want to leave the pump running all night. Any suggestions?

As for the mystery flower, I am getting very excited! Upon very close inspection today, I thought the slightest bit of yellow could be detected in the emerging head! It's very slight, but there's hope!

I didn't do a whole lot today, it seemed but by the time the day was over, I realized I had actually accomplished quite a bit. I worked slowly not wanting to aggravate my already tender back. I did get a few rooms vacuumed and mopped the outside bathroom and closet area. When we built the house we put a coatroom/bathroom just inside the garage. It gets a beating this time of year and needed mopping.

As for cooking, I fixed a roast for supper, dumping the leftover celery and carrots that were in the fridge into the mix. It was a cheap roast, close-dated and marked down, but so yummy after being slow-cooked with the veggies. This afternoon I decided to make muffins. I had a recipe for sweet potato muffins. Knowing I had some leftover cooked squash in the fridge, I decided to substitute. It worked perfectly. You couldn't ask for nicer, tastier muffins. They have dried cranberries in them and I'm having a hard time staying away from them.

Also picked up a few supplies for my paper-making project at the hardware store today. Just a few more little details and I'll be ready to try making a sheet of homemade paper! Hooray!

This evening Clint had church work to do, so I did more proofreading on my second book. It is swiftly nearing the point where I can take it to the publisher for them to begin work on it. I am so excited. I have a few ideas for the cover and so on, but it's always so exciting to see what the design artist comes up with.

Got a chance to work on a little embroidery today as well and maybe some knitting yet before the night's over. All in all it was a lovely day.

I froze a few rose petals today. Yes, froze them. The paper making books suggest this and then to use them in the paper. I hope to try it. If I don't like the results, I will use them in sachet. I keep a large ceramic container of homemade sachet in the guest room. I open the lid before people come over. My grandmother taught me how to make this stuff. She always saved rose petals for this and then let them dry on a screen or paper towels. After they were dry she would add spices; any of the "sweet" type spices that you like; cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, etc. She also added bath powder and her favorite perfumes and stirred it all up. She kept it in a closed container. For absolutely years we had a batch of it that kept its scent. It is different than purchased potpourris. It has a scent and character all its own since no two batches are ever alike. You can add dried orange peels or lemon peels as well. I don't know if I'll get any made this year or not, but I will have the roses saved or I can always add them to the batch I already have. My profuse lavender bushes are good for clipping and adding to the potpourri as well.

In thinking of potpourri, I am reminded of a verse in Ephesians 5. Verse 2 reads, "And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." Meditate on that a while! I want to walk in love so that like Christ, my sacrifice is pure and sweet-smelling to God. Isn't it interesting how the everyday things in life can remind you of scriptural admonitions? Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment