Tuesday, June 30, 2009

MANY LITTLE ACCOMPLISHMENTS

Hello! What lovely cool weather we're having! I love these temperatures. However the wind is making a bit of a problem in my gardens. They were dry to start with after the heat and blaring sun for several days, now the wind is drying them further. I hate to water until it's really necessary because in these conditions, it is likely to blow away with the wind. Now it's hard to pull the many weeds that are sprouting. At least we got a tiny bit of rain during the night.

Mom finished painting the pieces of the baby crib and Clint and I are headed out to "plant" some of them in the garden. I need the support of the headboard and footboard for the delphiniums that are being blown about in the wind.

I picked a bouquet out there today starting with two stalks of bee balm. It had apparently been knocked over by a passing deer or maybe the wind. I added some fading coral bells and what I think is a weed (tickseed? possibly), some daisies, gaillardia (sp?), brown-eyed susans, daylilies, and lavender. It looks really pretty and is the perfect example of the colors that are vivid in the garden right now.

This afternoon while Clint was doing computer work, I got some sewing done on the new blouse I was talking about the other day. It's not going to be the greatest fit, but looks like it will work with a nice camisole under it. Let's face it, I'm hard to fit and patterns and clothing nowadays are made much differently through the necklines than they used to be. I have heard several ladies comment on the difficulty of finding correctly fitting garments that are modest. I have narrow shoulders and that only contributes to the problem, plus I'm no genius at fitting patterns. Something that fits someone else well will gape and be very low cut looking on me. Anyway, this pattern has a tucked front inset, one of the lovely little details about the blouse. I so enjoyed putting it together It was easier than I thought it would be and the outcome was lovely. I am so enjoying the fabric as well. It's a simple ivory cotton with a little bit of a weave pattern and flowers embroidered across the fabric in single stitching of ivory. Only a little bit more to sew and it will be done. I'm dreading the next few steps as it involves putting a front band on for buttons. That's always boring and my only machine that makes good buttonholes is acting up. Hmmm....

Spent a while this afternoon straightening up the bobbins on my lace pillow. It sits in front of the one dormer window on a stand and the other day the wind knocked it over. In case I have never explained, I am a bobbin lacer. I actually haven't done much lacing for a few years, but am self-taught and have several pillows with projects on them sitting around the house. Bobbin lace is a very old technique dating from the 1500's in Europe. It involves weaving lace on a stiffly constructed pillow over a pattern. The bobbins hold the thread and you pass the them back and forth in different movements to create lace. It's very intriguing and maybe some day I'll get a picture of one of the projects on here. I designed a free form picture once and have that framed and hanging in the dining room.

Went to town to run errands today and saw some old friends. Also saw my son and his boss at lunch. When I got home I got a few chores done and so all in all it's been an interesting day of small, but important accomplishments. I also got to knit a while as we drove to town. I've been concentrating on finishing the lace shell I've had going for too long. I'm really close as I'm nearing the pattern change for the bodice front. That goes very fast and hopefully it'll be ready to wear yet this summer. I'd surely like that. I hope after all this work it fits better than the blouse I'm sewing!

I am so close to finishing the sequel to "The Fields of May." I hope to type a bit more this evening. The publisher and I are scheduled to meet next week. How exciting!

I was thinking alot about being faithful today. The other day I heard a verse that really spoke to me. It was 2 Timothy 2:13, "If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself."
Even if I am lacking faith, God will not deny Himself. Why? Because His word is tied to His name and He cannot and will not deny Himself or His word. I was also pondering some of the names of God today and this seems so appropriate. God reveals Himself in the Old Testament through some of His various names, like Jehovah Jireh, Our Provider. His character is reflected in His names and in another scripture, the Bible declares that He has magnified His word above all His name (Psalm 138:2). He has willingly and purposefully linked His character to His word and His name. This is a comfort to me. It tells me that even when I pray and I don't see the victory right away, He is faithful and cannot lie. He and His word are inseparably linked to provide for me, even in my faithlessness. Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment