Thursday, July 16, 2009

It's really been busy around here lately. Little time to blog. I have a few interesting little updates, though.

For instance, I tried making paper a couple of times this week. The first batch was ok and can probably be used to cut shapes, and etc. for decorating stationery. But it was a bit thick. I think I learned how to remedy that and the sheets I made this morning are much thinner. I didn't know what to expect for sure and with my makeshift supplies, I was prepared for a mess. Actually it went pretty well. It worked just like my instruction book said it would and that made the project kind of fun and exciting. I think with a little determination and better supplies, I could make several successful sheets of paper suitable for making stationery or cards. The embellishments you can give to homemade paper are endless--many fit in with my other interests--like using dried flowers in the pulp. The petals end up in the paper and make an interesting product. Can't wait to try that! Will experiment some more when I have a little time.

Forced myself to do some "spring cleaning" yesterday. I guess it's actually a little late to call it spring cleaning, but by that I mean I took pictures down, washed walls and woodwork, etc. in a few rooms. That is a very rewarding job. I always put it off but then have such a feeling of accomplishment when it's done.

Still waiting to can beans. My pressure cooker needs a new seal and I'm waiting for it to come in at the hardware. Should be here tomorrow. I also discovered that the black raspberries are still ripening just when I thought they were done. I need to make one more effort at picking before quitting for the year. That will probably happen this afternoon. In addition to that, I noticed today that my favorite blueberry patch put their sign out for customers. That means that blueberries are ready and it's time to take an afternoon and do the yearly picking.

I'm kind of in the "summer slump." You know that feeling that everything is ready at once and all kinds of things are demanding your attention--things that won't wait, like green beans. If you want the raspberries, you have to get them now; they won't be there next week. Same with the blueberries, and this is true of so many other things as well. It almost makes me want to quit and take a vacation--which would only compound the problem!! Reminds me of the verse in John 9,"I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work." (verse 4) Of course, Jesus was speaking of things other than gardens when He said that, but I often find that running through my mind when I know I have tasks to do that I would rather put off. Jesus was cautioning us to do the Father's will because there is coming a day when it will be too late. This is a sober reminder that we must work while we can witnessing and sharing the love of Christ to a lost world for the time is coming when our work on earth is ended and the opportunities are gone!

How fun! I just had to stop right in the middle of this blog to give a garden tour! I wish that would happen more often. I love sharing my garden with others. Too bad it is at its worst right now--very little blooming and the dry, windy conditions have taken a definite toll. The garden is only a shadow of its spring time glory. Well, I was so thankful that someone was interested and loved hosting a tour even if there wasn't too much to see!

Last evening, just for fun, I decided to try to count all the varieties of flowers in the English garden. I think I saw 50 different flowers! Fun, fun, fun! And the mystery flower still remains a mystery. I'll have to wait some more to see what color it is.

Hope you're having a good week. Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment