Wednesday, September 2, 2009

SEPTEMBER IN THE GARDEN AND VARIOUS THOUGHTS

The last two days have been completely consumed with work! After a day of work yesterday, Rhiannon and I went grocery shopping to restock the house after vacation. On our way home we visited the corn patch and picked 3 clothes baskets full of more corn to freeze since it's on it's way out. It was getting late and we had to hurry. We didn't husk it in the field. This morning she helped husk some before she had to go to work and then I got stuck all alone doing corn for the whole day! What a lot of work! I did manage to get a load of clothes on the line and supper in the crock pot between husking, washing, boiling, cooling, cutting corn, and cleaning up the kitchen! Then end result was 22 quarts of lovely corn to put in the freezer for winter. Our freezer is currently so full, I honestly don't know where I'd fit another item! This is something to be thankful for!

I hope to get a chance to write some more thoughts about courtship tomorrow. I do want to say that I know of courtships that have "gone wrong." I was pondering that today as I was working. I was thinking about what all I wanted to write next about the subject and that's certainly something to be considered. I know of situations where the courtship didn't end in marriage, but was broken off in the early stages. But isn't that much better than what most folks experience--dating several people and experiencing break-ups and all the resulting emotional baggage on a regular basis? I think in the cases I'm referring to, there were some hurts to get over, some scars to heal, but certainly not to the extent of what failed dating relationships leave. After all the years in the pastorate, I also know of situations where dating relationships fell apart leaving tremendous scars. I've talked to young people who were grieving over heartaches.

On that subject, my next book, the sequel to "The Fields of May,"--the title is not set in stone yet or I'd tell you!--is a book that deals with what might happen if a courtship "goes sour." I am anxious for the release of this book because it follows some of the characters from the first book and instead of everything working out just as planned, there are alot of setbacks that occur before the characters get their lives in order. I hope it will give readers a desire to look very carefully and seriously at their relationships before entering into them as well as encourage those who have made wrong turns with the hope that God is all about redemption!

Just a little side note on another subject--yesterday I believe I was given what might be called a "divine appointment." It made my day. I had called a lady about a business matter and as we talked I sensed her discouragement and disappointment with several things she was going through. She had concerns that mirrored some that I deal with myself. Listening to her was like hearing a recording of myself at my lowest times. I told her I'd like to pray with her before we hung up and she seemed so appreciative. I pondered that call quite a while yesterday. She is a believer, but I think she needed someone to minster to her. I often want to do "big things" for the Lord and probably fail by missing opportunities like that one yesterday. Someone emailed me yesterday morning with specific encouragements that made my day much lighter. What if all of us as Christians were to take our days very seriously, looking for the small things--divine appointments--where we are to minister in quiet ways? Over time all these small moments would add up to alot of ministry! I thank God that I was able to recognize that a prayer was needed at that moment. I think I was more aware because someone had ministered to me through an encouraging email in the morning. When I write these articles on my blog, I am trying in a small way to be an encouragement to those who read them. I don't have a big platform, but want to do what I can for the Lord!

What's new in the garden? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Oh, maybe the zinnia finally bloomed. But other than that, it's looking very Septemer-ish. By that I mean there's a tired, dry sort of look to everything as flowers make a last feeble attempt to bloom before winter sets in. Some vegetables are still being harvested and my red raspberries are making a noble showing, but that's all! Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment