Monday, September 21, 2009

FAIR PROJECT UPDATE!

Today I spent the day at the Fair with Clint. He worked in the chaplaincy booth, handing out information and talking to people who inquire about the ministry. I spent my time wandering around checking up on my items and knitting with the spinners and weavers guild. I also took a walk to the library since it's pretty convenient to leave the east fairground entrance and then it's not too far away. I really got my exercise today with that walk plus the walk from one end of the grounds to the other to check my entries.

I was a little bit surprised on a few items. Here's the rundown. No ribbon on the flowers--not a surprise at all since they basically died! No ribbon on the jelly--no surprise here either since I had only one and I was supposed to have three jars. I did get a blue ribbon on my WW1 postcards and fan holder. Also on the pressed flower pics I got a blue ribbon on the little pink ones, plus a second judge's choice! That was a pleasant surprise! They only give one first judge's choice and a second in a division, I believe. The larger ones got a red ribbon, but I was competing against myself.

Over to the needlework building--the 70's dress got a blue ribbon. That was a bit of a surprise. There was very little sewing entered in any category and the dress was the only one in it's division or class. But they don't have to award a ribbon if they don't think it's worthy, so I was glad for the award. Emma's placemat pantsuit got a blue as well. My felted handbag got a blue ribbon. I was a bit surprised at that, especially when I saw the caliber of the competition. Some very nice felted handbags were entered. The tatted cross bookmark got a red ribbon. Truthfully, I was surprised at that--not to brag, but I expected a blue. I have been a tatter for years and years, consider it my best accomplishment in needlework, and rarely get a red. Just goes to show you can't get over confident!Try, try again! My alpaca shawl got a blue and that surprised me. I expected maybe a red. Emma's smock got a white. So all in all I had a pretty good year. I'm satisfied. Now seeing the lack of sewn items, I wish I had taken one more dress over that I had finished. I thought it was not all that great, but I'm pretty sure it would have placed anyway. Oh, well. Next year.

After we got home I picked raspberries, tomatoes and put laundry on the line. Also washed 3 windows, their mini-blinds and screens. Did some housecleaning and got supper around. It was a productive day and it's back to the Fair tomorrow. Clint will be a the booth once more and I was invited to sit and knit with the guild again. My publishers had a nice poster and some information set up right across from the booth Clint was at. I'm looking forward to another day of fun with the other knitters, spinners, and weavers.

For the rest of the week until I am able to get a photo collage of the items after I pick them up on Saturday night, I want to start a new subject on this blog. Modesty. I feel like it is a related topic to courtship, Christian living, and so on. Plus it's a much needed subject that we sometimes overlook today. We as Christians need to address this a bit more than we do. I hope to make some observations that will stimulate some thinking on the subject. Stay tuned. Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment