Tuesday, September 22, 2009

MY NEW COWBOY BOOTS AND MORE THOUGHTS ON MODEST CLOTHING!

Here's a picture of the new cowboy boots that Clint purchased for me at the Fair! I love them! Seems appropriate to add a fashion picture to this post on "modest clothing!"


Adding a few more thoughts to yesterday's post:

I was saying how hard it is to find modest styles in the stores nowadays. I think it has become so difficult that we are actually seeing some inappropriate clothing in the church or among Christians. It's so difficult to obtain decent things that most folks won't go out of their way to find anything different.

Back in the day, I remember going to a Saturday night church service with a friend. This is while I was on vacation and probably didn't have alot of dress clothes with me. I think she went in shorts and I had on a tank top style shirt with about 1 inch straps. I might add any undergarments were securely pinned back then so that none crept out from beneath your shirt. It's a little hard for us older gals to get used to the idea of all kinds of straps, etc. being allowed to show now! The minister chose that evening to admonish the congregation about how they were appearing in church in clothing that was inappropriate! Boy, did I ever feel singled out! I don't think it was intended at me, since I was just a first-time visitor and my friend, a member, was dressed the same way, but it sure did leave a lasting impression on me. Looking back, the outfit I wore is no different than what is commonly seen in churches now at midweek services, etc. (mostly for young people).

This will crack you up--back in the day, Clint remembers being so annoyed at his folks because he was not allowed to wear jeans to church like the other guys! Now is that a modesty issue? No, but it just goes to show that the mindset was worlds apart from now. What we commonly accept as appropriate might need to be at least re-considered. I'm not against jeans in church, in case you were wondering. Our kids get a kick out of us telling them how we girls used to carry our "dress pants" (popular in the 70's) with us in a bag to Sunday evening services. After church we would change out of our dress clothes and into the "dress pants" for youth gatherings or head for town to go out to eat or go "cruising." But we would never have thought of going to church in anything but a skirt or dress! My, how things change!

Am I saying a woman shouldn't appear at church in pants. Not necessarily. I'll leave the pants vs. dresses issue to you and your own convictions. I merely bring up these things to make the point that there was a consciousness of what was appropriate for certain occasions. As well as throwing modesty out the window, I think we've lost that as well.

First modesty suggestion: Camisoles are a great wardrobe item to offset the low necklines that are popular today. Sometimes they are a bit expensive, but they are something that you can use so much that the cost is offset. More tomorrow....Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment