Wednesday, September 23, 2009

MORE HINTS AND EVEN A RECIPE SUGGESTION!

The continuing discussion on modest clothing. There's a bit of a joke around our house that if there were such a thing as the "modesty police," that would be Mom's (Lori's) dream job! Well, I do wish I could somehow help folks understand that modesty is a GOOD thing, not a drudgery.


The true and lasting qualities of beauty are best discovered by first getting to know a person on the level of their self, not their body. This is one of the reasons that covering your body appropriately is just plain, wise, living. Because of the themes of my books, "courtship," modesty goes right along with the subject. In a courtship, the couple is supposed to be praying about each other and getting to know one another based on lots of important spiritual and character qualities and not focusing on physical attraction alone. I tried to bring that out in "The Fields of May."


I hope to someday be able to direct readers to a place where they can purchase dresses that are designed to look like Carrie's clothes from the book. I purposely described Carrie, the main character, as a young woman who makes very careful efforts to dress modestly and beautifully. I have actually been talking to various folks about the possibility of getting a few of Carrie's dresses on the market. It's a dream that I hope one day comes true!


So how can women dress modestly in an immodest culture? If you sew, you have an advantage because you can make your own items. However, I find that I barely have enough time anymore to make all the clothes necessary to outfit myself. Plus it's getting harder to find good fabrics and patterns since many sewing stores are going out of business. I do what I can and make alot of my more dressy clothes, but even modest everyday stuff is getting hard to find anymore. I find that layering is a good option. If you find a blouse, but the sleeves are cut too deeply or the neckline a bit wide; a blouse, shirt, or sweater worn over it can solve the problem. The longer, fuller skirts like I have on in the cowboy boot picture (yesterday's post) are also a staple in my wardrobe. I find they are very cheap and quite popular right now. They can be dressed up or down by the tops you wear with them.


Another good indicator of whether your outfits are appropriate is to ask you husband or your father (if he is a Christian). A few times Clint has suggested to me that I needed to wear something under a certain blouse. He will honestly tell me if something is just a bit on the edge and doesn't look like it should. Sometimes it's hard to see how an outfit looks on you from all angles, but another person can help you.


Pray before you shop. I once had a friend that prayed before going clothes shopping for the simple reason that she needed to find bargains that fit her budget. She testified that the Lord helped her find what she needed!


And please---do not fall into the trap of looking frumpy in the name of modesty. Improper and ill-fitting clothing that isn't pretty does nothing for your Christian witness and certainly draws a different kind of negative attention to yourself. While neatness, cleanliness, and modesty are tops on the list; beauty should not be sacrificed. Just read the detailed descriptions of the tabernacle furnishings and realize the importance God put on the items surrounding and adorning His dwelling. Our God loves beauty. The people who worked on the tabernacle were skilled artisans, many were workers in fabrics and dyes, emboiderers and weavers. The priests' clothes were carefully and skillfully made and described in detail. Offer your best to the Lord in everything you do, whether it is your service, your appearance, your time, or your money.


Switching gears: I invented a new recipe last night that you might like to try. I dipped chicken breasts in coating (Fryin' Magic) and browned them on both sides. I then placed them in a glass baking dish and covered them with foil. Baked them at 400 til I knew they were done (thermometer). Meanwhile I had boiled about two tablespoons of concentrated orange juice and barbeque sauce together with a few dashes of soy sauce. When the chicken was done I basted it with the sauce mixture and baked a while longer. Really, really good! Kind of a "teriyaki" flavor. Yum, yum. Experiment with sauces and see what flavors you like.


Another tip: tonight I made a casserole of ravioli. I buy the frozen ravioli and then just put it in a glass pan (greased) and cover with a quart of spaghetti sauce. My homemade sauce always seems a bit watery compared to store-bought, but that's absolutely perfect for ravioli since the little pasta pockets need the extra moisture as they bake. I covered this with shredded cheese and baked til crispy and bubbly. Very good and very easy. I buy the day old deli breads as often as I can. The whole grain buns are my favorite. I cut them in half and top with butter, garlic salt, parmesan, and shredded cheese and broil for a few minutes. Great side dish and cheap too! Blessings, LORI


No comments:

Post a Comment