Monday, August 31, 2009

HOME FROM TENNESSEE!

We arrived home from a wonderful family vacation this evening about 6:30. We left Tennessee this morning at 9:48 Michigan time, stopped for a leisurely lunch and several little stops. We got slowed down in some traffic and took a wrong turn in Indianapolis. So considering all that, we made it in really good time!

We were able to spend some great time together as a family, deepening our relationships through times of fun and fellowship. We also really got to know the people that hosted us at their lovely guest house. Such wonderful Christian fellowship we had with them enjoying their 100 acre property in the rolling hills around Nashville. Rhiannon and I are anxious to return in late October/early November to take a little vacation after harvest is over, since she wasn't able to go with us this time. Can't wait! It's good to be home, but I really had a hard time leaving. I shed a few tears because I've grown so attached to that area after several trips there to visit family and just do the tourist thing!

I felt like I was just able to give my brain a rest this week. The stresses of everyday work were lifted and we just relaxed and entertained Emma! We visited the zoo and a waterpark, some parks, and a little farm that served ice cream and had kid attractions especially for her enjoyment.

I will try to start posting on courtship again with some tidbits of information gleaned from my grandparents' letters. I was sorry to pass by the military cemetery where my Civil War grandfather is buried both on our way down and back. There just wasn't time to stop. We did stop there last fall and got Emma's picture beside the grave. It is a family tradition to go there and take a picture--my cousin and I did that when we were on a family vacation in the early 70's. Several other family members have visited as well. My grandfather (actually great, great, great grandfather!) appears to have enlisted in January of 1864, I believe, went to war, was captured and became a prisoner, was sent home (walking) and died and was buried the same day, July 2 or 3, of 1864. He had a son born after he died, a son he never saw. The son was named after him and became my great, great grandfather.

Just a little bit on the WW1 letters from my grandpa and grandma--this is so sweet! He asked her if she would like to have a set of buttons from his uniform as a keepsake. He tells her in the letter that several of the guys buy a set of buttons and send them to their sweethearts! Apparently it was the thing to do to show a special bit of caring for a girl back home. How innocent! If we would return to such honorable innocence, wouldn't we all be better off? Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment