Thursday, September 10, 2009

MORE ENCOURAGEMENTS

I need to add a little to one of yesterday's answers. I also remember that my parents got me a diary for my 7th or 8th birthday. I was probably in first grade and just learning to write. Because I had an especially hard time remembering which way the "b's" and "d's" were supposed to face, there are several interesting entries that go along these lines--"fed my bog and went to ded," or things like that! But that diary led to journaling......

I try to recommend as much as possible, to Christian women especially, that you begin to journal during your devotions. Buy some type of writing paper or ready-made journal that you are comfortable with and keep it with your Bible. I often use the cheap school notebook type tablets that can be purchased at many stores this time of year for 15 cents and up (approx.) if you shop around. I stock up on them and keep them handy. When you use a journal to record your thoughts during your Bible reading time, it becomes a record of how the Holy Spirit is prompting you. No one else has to read your entries and that's a great place to practice writing! Before long you will see a "thread" of God's encouragements to you.

My first and second books, "The Fields of May," and "A Sturdy Fence," ( the second one due out in early December) were written in these cheap notebooks. I did a little writing each night before I went to bed and then read, re-read, tweaked, edited, and repeated the whole process for about 10 years! Part of the lengthy delay in publishing was due to the typing that had to be done. I couldn't turn the manuscripts to someone else to type because I was the only one who could decipher 10 years worth of scribbled corrections, arrows, and out of order pages! It shouldn't have to take that long. With the aid of the computer, book three was written over a time period of about 6-8 months. I started book 4 yesterday and it's already about an eighth of the way done--or so---who knows at this point? The whole outline is complete already.

I am learning all the time and my advice to others is 'just start writing', especially in a journal. Your individual style will develop quickly. I see a difference just from my first book to my second to my third, and so on. Yet, my own sort of individuality still shows through. The old-fashioned, flowery, descriptions of places, clothes, furnishings, or courtship proposals are my favorite thing to write! I love the descriptive paragraphs!

I encourage you to develop a time of Bible reading every day. The journaling will be a part of that. That leads to more writing! Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment