Friday, September 11, 2009

TAKING MY OWN ADVICE!

Ok, so I should take my own advice! This morning I was reading the last chapter of Second Peter when suddenly the Lord just began to open my heart to a greater understanding of the chapter and related scriptures. No journal with me! That almost never happens. I had mopped the kitchen floor and propped my Bible near the door, mopping my way out to the deck. I didn't go back for the journal and so I made notes in my Bible. I do that often. I know some people are way opposed to that, but it has been one of the most helpful things to me in my Christian walk. I often use the notes that I have made to refer to other scriptures and related thoughts when teaching Sunday school since my journal doesn't always go to church with me. As I am beginning to do more public speaking, I find the studying so much easier because I often get ideas from notes I've scribbled in the margins. My Bible is filled with such entries and they too are like reminders of what the Spirit is speaking to me as I read the Word. Consider making notes in your Bible.

Another little writing tip: If you begin to use a journal and want to start writing a short story (or a long story, for that matter) use this little hint if you are not near the computer. Begin jotting down major thoughts or "scenes" on paper. Don't worry about all the details or time sequence. I often write what is vivid to me at the moment and then when I re-read I number the paragraphs or sentences in the order I want to arrange them. Of course, this only applies to quick writing on paper. If you are at the computer it is so much easier to re-arrange things instantly. By numbering thoughts on paper you can then type them in order when you get to your computer. As a pastor, Clint has often kept a notebook or paper by the bed because it seems that sometimes he wakes in the night with sermon ideas and rather than lose them, he jots down notes.

Today we met Rhiannon for lunch since she was between duties for awhile. They are preparing for harvest and that changes her normal workday. On the way home from meeting her, we stopped at several local business in search of a campfire grill. We looked at lots of styles and a friend invited us to his house to investigate the one he has--the "Cadillac" of all grills. It was really nice! We didn't purchase today, but I think we eventually will. We had a campfire last weekend and probably will this weekend as well. With grandchildren coming on the scene, I can see this happening more and more. It's a really fun part of life on a small acreage. Farm life at its best!

I hope to write a bit about the wonderful things I noticed in 2 Peter, maybe tomorrow. Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment