Tuesday, September 22, 2009

TALKING ABOUT CLOTHING

Spending more time at the Fair! Clint worked again this morning in the chaplaincy booth and I sat and knitted with the spinners and weavers' guild. That's my idea of fun! Beats work! I got alot done on a cardigan that I've been putting off. I have the shell done that goes under it, but the matching cardigan is going slowly. Both shell and cardigan have lace panels and that slows the work down since I haven't been able to memorize the lace instructions! These ladies complimented me on my work and that was a big thrill to me since they are accomplished needleworkers. Made me want to keep knitting!

I thought I'd add a few thoughts on modest clothing to the next few posts. Talking about knitting leads right into that. I used to love to knit and sew just for the creative satisfaction that it gives, but now, I actually sort of depend on using my creations because of an increasingly hostile clothing environment. Is it just my imgination or have you noticed that in the last several years it is becoming harder to find modest ladies' clothing? I think my observation is correct since I've heard umpteen women complain about the same problem.

If there's anyone who should have an excuse to dress "however," it's me, since I sometimes think I'm the hardest person to fit on the planet! As well as not being able to find affordable clothes in appropriate styles, sometimes if I can find them, they simply won't fit me. I'm almost a petite--1/2" too tall for a true petite, a bit long-waisted, yet I have narrow shoulders and shorter arms. It's am impossible combination. Clothes that are perfectly fine on other women gape and droop and create all kinds of neckline difficulties for me. Still, I try not to let that excuse me from being careful with my clothing choices. Lately it's been harder than ever. I recently bought a top that seemed ok in the dressing room but when I got it home and wore it, I was uncomfortable all day with the way it shifted around and seemed to end up appearing low cut. I've not worn it since.

If you're reading this and have never considered whether or not your clothing is modest, but merely just purchased whatever you liked, you may be wondering why anyone would give it that much thought. I'm basing my comments on a couple of things. First there is a scriptural principle for women found in 1 Timothy 2:9, "In like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation..."

In addition to that scripture there are several other passages that hint at the same principle, although they may not say it as directly. There is a general theme in scripture that would indicate that women should both dress and behave modestly. I really think the two go together. Immodest dress tends to foster immodest behavior and vice versa.

The second thing that I'm basing my opinions on is the way I was raised. After you get a little older (like me!) you have the advantage of experience to back you. By virtue of my age, I can tell you--things are getting worse, much worse in the modesty department compared to what they were when I was a teenager. It's actually shocking. You wouldn't know this unless you've lived long enough to remember those days.

I'll give more thoughts on that tomorrow. I've got a few ideas on how to beat the "clothing problem." Maybe you will too. Let me hear your comments and ideas! Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment