Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A LITTLE BIT OF FILIGREE FROM NATURE AND MY SEWING ROOM







HE HAS MADE EVERYTHING BEAUTIFUL IN ITS TIME...Eccl. 3:11

I just wanted to share a few pictures with you.The first few are my sewing room from other angles. I promised to continue to share my sewing room with you! Sewing has been a Titus 2 endeavor for me for years. Once I learned to sew it helped me economize and clothe the family with unique things that would have been too expensive to seek out in the stores! The yellow heart-shaped chair was a garage sale find that I've treasured for years! The knitted lace throw on the chair was a gift from the lady that taught me to knit years ago. It was in blocks and I sewed it together. I called her Aunt Tessie and she's responsible for much of my interest in needlework. She also taught me to tat!

Above the yellow chair is a very old "waist." That is what ladie's blouses were first called at the turn of the century. This one is ornate indeed! Hanging next to it is a hat I decorated. The tall chest of drawers belonged to my dad as a boy. Sitting on it are several old needlework items, boxes of thread, patterns, and darning cotton in original boxes. The tall skinny cupboard with the yellow "yoke" hanging above it was a gift from my husband. We bought this unusual cupboard at a benefit auction. I use it to house my extensive collection of thread. Each drawer houses a particular color grouping

Another view shows my "second sewing machine," which is currently out of commission! Next to it is my fabric cupboard. The other low dresser you see was a gift from Clint's mom. My mom refinished it and it houses all my patterns. Sitting on top is a picture of my grandma at 16, a picture of her at 4 years old in 1904, and a couple of pictures of me. The black hats on the wall are antiques.

I hope you enjoyed sharing one of my favorite getaway rooms. No new green dress progress to report. We are busy getting ready to head out for our annual pilgrimage to Iowa tomorrow. Clint will plan to hunt with friends. It's a really special time for him. I'll visit friends while there and do some needlework and shopping. I have a friend I graduated with who lives only a few miles from where we stay. She and I plan to can carrots while I'm there. I am taking her a bag of "gleaned" carrots from the Michigan fields. Last year she canned several and thought they were wonderful!

The last picture is of our woods this morning as the moon drifted behind the trees. I love the way the "filigree" of the tree branches was highlighted by the moon's glow. It reminded me of the verse I posted. Even in the winter, the woods and all of nature have a certain beauty. Enjoy God's creation today! It is truly beautiful! Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment