Saturday, December 19, 2009

THE RUBY SLIPPER INCIDENT-CHAPTER 2

I was all set to share some pictures of my parlor all decked out for Christmas, when my computer seems to refuse to work. Sorry! I wanted you all to see my tree and the loads of presents that are cluttering the whole area! When we built this house we failed to allow a good place to put a Christmas tree. Oh, well!

This morning I stirred up a quick batch of homemade bread dough to put in the freezer to add to the "food gifts" for my son and daughter-in-law. I put the bread in loaves and then froze them. She can get them out and let them raise, bake them and voila! I HOPE IT WORKS!

I wanted to keep writing a bit about homeschooling as well as finishing the Ruby Slipper Incident. Bear with me a bit!

As for homeschooling, I love to encourage families to give homeschooling a try. I never thought I would do that until it sort of became a necessity. Our kids were going to a nice Christian school that we were very happy with. One of the drawbacks was driving them to and from school. One year my husband took a job teaching high school Bible at the school but his class met midday. That meant that we were making three trips per day back and forth to the school. That factor alone was enough to make us consider our options. Money became a bit tight and that was another reason we began taking a second look at homeschooling. If money factors are a consideration and you're wanting a Christian education for your children, consider homeschool....more on that subject in the future!

THE RUBY SLIPPER INCIDENT-CHAPTER 2

In early 2004 I found myself readying for a trip to Africa. Actually I was really looking forward to the 12 hour layover we would spend in Amsterdam. I had always wanted to see Europe and I figured this was my one chance to at least set foot there and maybe shop for a few local products like chocolate, delftware, laces, etc. So I talked myself into the fact that the whole trip would be worth those 12 hours! Now how's that for a real dedicated missionary heart???

We left Kalamazoo, Michigan on a small plane. Actually we had trouble even leaving. After sitting on the runway for a long time, the pilot came on declaring the plane was overweight and we couldn't take off. We 17 people knew it was our fault since we had keyboards, guitars, etc., with us. We had not packed light intending to give away several of these items once we got to the church in Africa. Finally after offering many incentives one tiny little lady who couldn't have weighed over 80 pounds offered to take the next flight. Everyone in the plane laughed knowing she couldn't possibly make much difference. Pretty soon someone else offered and off we went for Detroit! After a short layover there we headed for an overnight flight to Amsterdam. The plane was crowded, noisy, and tight. Some of our group didn't sleep at all. Some of us got a little sleep. About 8 hours later we landed in Amsterdam, Holland where the story continues.....


I hope you are seeking the Lord this Christmas season. I love the saying, WISE MEN STILL SEEK HIM, Blessings, Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment