Friday, December 4, 2009

FILIGREE THOUGHTS FROM THE PLAINS OF IOWA!

We made it to our destination in Iowa yesterday afternoon! We had a great trip and I hope to post more pics of our time here in the next few days, however our friend here says it's hard to post pictures on his computer, so we'll see. The Lord blessed us with a really good and safe trip. I slept quite a lot and then finished a couple of tatted crosses for Bible bookmarks while we rode. They make up so quickly and then I can sell them. I sold two last week. As well as quick to make, they are cheap to make as well. Very good item to sell!


I was just thrilled to learn that I could still sew while out here. My friend set up a really nice sewing machine for me. I brought the "green dress" along just in case I would have a chance to finish it. I had longed to wear it to the only Christmas party we are invited to. Next Thursday when we head home, we'll be stopping for supper in Indiana and joining the rest of the chaplaincy board for our annual dinner. Since Clint is the president of the board, we will make every effort to attend. One year we missed it due to being in Iowa and totally forgetting that we needed to be there!

The sewing went well last evening and before you know it, I was done with all but finishing details. I tried the dress on and realized I had forgotton in my "desinging" to add extra fullness to follow the curved back bodice I had re-drawn. I think I can fix it to look right and if not, it's not so bad that I can't wear it. I'll adjust the pattern on the next try. Ahhh,sewing! Ahhh,designing!

Because of the emphasis on dress design for the last few days, let me share a few verses with you that are tucked away in the Old Testament, seldom read, yet so powerful. "All the women who were gifted artisans spun yarn with their hands and brought what they had spun, of blue, purple, and scarlet, and fine linen. And all the women whose hearts stirred with wisdom spun yarn of goats' hair." Exodus 35:25-26 I love these verses for the obvious reason! I spin! Well, there are more in the next few chapters that speak of "gifted artisans" enable by the wisdom and Spirit of God to do works of great beauty for the tabernacle of God. Often as women (or people, in general) we tend to discount our contributions--things like sewing or craft making, thinking it's not really useable in the church. We wish we could sing or preach or whatever, when all the time the gifts of a seamstress or crafter or artist are an extension of the wisdom of the Lord for His service! The next time you embark on a craft project or some art project ask yourself how you can do the best possible job to glorify the Lord, knowing He has gifted you with talent! As a church, we need to begin once again to recognize and use the talents of the artisans in our midst. The world certainly rewards the artists, swallowing up their offerings and often distorting them for wordly pursuits. Shall we not "reclaim" art for the church? Think about it!

The weather that met us here was very cold and windy. It's a dry type of cold that we're not used to in Michigan. I'll be piling on the chapstick and mositurizers as well as trying to condition and control my hair while here! I notice it every year and the dryness has to be combatted. I love the open fields here and how you can see for quite a distance. The farms are so neat and pretty. I hope you are having a lovely week and will enjoy a great weekend filled with friends, family, and a trip to church! Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment