Monday, December 28, 2009

OUR CHRISTMAS CELEBRATION!
Pictures from our Christmas celebrations!

Emma and Elmo lounging her new chair!
























Next is Miss Emma in a Tigger hat and mittens from her Aunt Rhi!







The next picture is of me receiving a tatting book--a little filigree for the fingers! More pics on that tomorrow!





A picture is of Granny and Miss Emma enjoying a book. Emma was dressed so cute! She didn't feel well that day and wasn't quite herself, but we had a wonderful time anyway!










Here I am, eating again. This time it's a wonderful piece of creamy dark chocolate fudge!
I know these captions may appear out of order, have patience with me. I had a hard time making them line up. I know you can sort them out!
I hope you enjoyed our Christmas pictures.



Chapter 5--The Ruby slipper Incident--Last time I wrote a chapter in this story we were just landing in Nairobi, Kenya after quite an ordeal. When we finally got to our destination we were so thrilled. We were also very tired. It was morning in Africa. The lack of sleep, jet lag, and traveling had all taken a toll on us. I was so overwhelmed with the sights and sounds of a new culture that I could not take it all in at once. I tried to rest my eyes on the long trip to the village where we were going, but there was too much excitement!

After only a few days in Kenya, I began to feel a strange sort of homesickness set in. I was used to spending about an hour a day in Bible reading and prayer each morning at home. This was not possible in the mission setting. We were always needing to be on schedule to meet the vans that transported us to and fro. We were staying in a hotel on one side of town. Our host and hostess lived across town and the church site where we were to serve was in yet another part of town. To miss the vans or hold up the transportation process would have been bad for everyone. So we were on a bit of a schedule for breakfast, etc. Very quickly I began to lose my "bearings" in a sense with lack of Bible time, different food, lack of sleep, culture shock, etc.

One morning I sat in our little hotel room on the edge of the bed. Clint was in the shower and I found a few private moments to cry out to God and express my fear and the "creepy" feeling that was stealing over me. I remember having the strange sense that we'd never get home. I was very concerned and the enemy began to take advantage of my weakened condition (lack of devotion time and sleep) to prey upon me. I learned anew what the Israelites felt like when they expressed that they could not sing the songs of the Lord in a strange land (Babylon.) Though I was surrounded by lovely Christians, I was becoming depressed, longing for the familiar. I was majorly homesick and a bit scared.

As I cried out to God, there alone in this warm,
fourth floor hotel room so far from home, I suddenly heard the still, small, voice of the Holy Spirit speak to my being. It was one of the closest things to an audible voice from God that I've ever heard, yet it was not audible. It sounded very gentle and came to my spirit with these words, "Lori, I am as at-home in this culture as I am in yours...." I nearly fell backwards on the bed as I realized this was the voice of the saviour that had redeemed me, expressing that He was content with these lovely people and if he could be calm and happy here, so should I! MORE ON THAT TOMORROW...THE STORY CONTINUES! Blessings, LORI

1 comment:

  1. That little Emma is adorable. Thanks for the pictures.

    Looking forward to more on the slipper story.

    ReplyDelete