Saturday, June 6, 2009

Hello, everyone! I had said in my last blog that I wanted to say a bit more about the Bible characters that didn't "finish well." I have decided to veer off that subject for now, but encourage you to think about that for a while as you read your Bible. Notice the way several notable people's lives ended. There are certainly many that started strong for the Lord and finished poorly or at least less than their potential for God. It's a challenging thought to keep in mind when studying the scripture. It will encourage you to finish strong in the race of life as the Apostle Paul did, (2 Timothy 4:7). It's an encouragement not to give up just before the race ends! That's certainly a temptation some are facing in these last days.

So many interesting things have happened since I wrote last. The one I am thinking of most was an unexpected surprise that occurred yesterday. I was out walking around the perimeter of the yard (hadn't done that in ages) and as I passed a dense, thick section of fencerow, I noticed a bright pink/purple spot amongst the undergrowth. Upon closer inspection lo and behold it was two different plants of dianthus that were absolutely flourishing in the weeds! This was very exciting to find a "free" plant in the color shades I most need to encourage in my garden! I have a habit of dumping any hanging baskets I have at the end of the season in the fence row and apparently conditions were just right for these brave little plants to winter over and really flourish for the next season. Wow! what a delight I had in planting these new starts in my garden. The same wonderful thing happened up around the house in the landscaping. I had put dianthus of a different color, sold as annual bedding plants, at the edge of the area to add color last year. They came back this year as well and most seem very strong and thick! What a blessing!

I got to attend a few garage sales this weekend where I found several bargains. I was looking for a certain style of loose jacket to wear with most outfits for the summer. I had already purchased the fabric but was having trouble finding the pattern that suited me. I went to a garage sale yesterday afternoon and here was the perfect pattern, like new for 50cents! Also at the same sale was a brand new roll of clear contact paper marked $1 that was over $5 originally. We use alot of that stuff to cover the jackets of our very imposing book collections around here. Also at the same sale was a book I had always wanted that I had purchased back in 80's on a trial basis. I sent it back feeling it was more expensive than I needed to pay for at the time. Here it was in like-new condition for 50cents! Now if that wasn't enough, the same sale had an old decorative iron floor lamp, newly wired with shade for $3. I own that now as well as a tooled leather purse they sold for 50cents. Clint found two cd's that he liked as well. It was a great day for us and the bargains!

We got a notice from friends of ours that we knew clear back from our days at Rosedale Bible Institute, now Rosedale Bible College, that they were going to be in the area for a visit. They are church planters in the Soo. We met them today for lunch and visiting. It's always so good to see them, renew old acquaintances, and hear about their work among people in the north.

Sold more perennials today and that's always a blessing. I hope you had a great weekend as well. I hope to write more tomorrow or Monday with new devotional thoughts. Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment