Wednesday, June 24, 2009

THE ARTISTIC HEART OF GOD

I was talking a bit on the last post about God, the Master Artist. I want to say a little more about that today for all you artists or aspiring artists out there. I am so encouraged by some of the verses found in the book of Exodus as they describe the preparations for the tabernacle. There are nearly too many to quote here, but I'll highlight a few and encourage you to read the 35th and 36th chapters of Exodus in their entirety to get a clearer picture of the whole scene.

A few years ago as I was reading through Exodus, I was encouraged to find numerous references to artists. I have always felt that art in the modern church has been a bit overlooked. I don't think we do it on purpose, and there's certainly a trend to correct that, but we just are not as focused on works of art as our predecessors were in the old days of Europe. Consider Michaelangelo's paintings in the Sistine Chapel. Many great works of art adorn the cathedrals of Europe and were tremendous tributes to the magnificence of our Lord and His work. The last time we went south, we visited a church in Kentucky whose sanctuary walls are adorned with several master paintings. They depict biblical scenes and use the art of oil painting to bring glory to God.

Somehow, in the American church until just recently we have largely forgotten the place that quality art can play in drawing a person to an experience of awe and reverence. In Exodus 35, verse 10 we read: "All who are gifted artisans among you shall come and make all that the Lord has commanded,". Then Moses goes on to list all the tabernacle furnishings that are needed. Notice that the artisans are considered "gifted." Nearly every kind of item you could think of was needed, even down to clothing for the priests. This idea alone challenges me to sew to the glory of God. Are the things I can sew as a homemaker reflecting God's glory and excellence? Do I dress in such a way as to honor Him with what I've made? With the lack of available modest and lovely clothing on the market, isn't that reason enough to learn to sew?

Let's look at verse 25 and 26 of the same chapter, "All the women who were gifted artisans spun yarn with their hands and brought what they had spun, of blue, purple, and scarlet, and fine linen. And all the women whose hearts stirred with wisdom spun yarn of goats' hair." Wow, I start to really get excited at that verse! I just learned to spin at the fair last fall when a few dedicated ladies took an afternoon to teach me. I haven't invested in a wheel yet, so I'll probably have to be re-taught! Not only is this yet another verse that elevates artistry to a place of ministry, but it speaks of the giftedness of women artists and that their "hearts were stirred with wisdom" and art work resulted!! Are you getting as excited as I am at the possibility that the creative arts of women all across the church can be really used for the glory of God?

Be sure to read verses 30-35 where some of the artists are named. Moses told the children of Israel that the Lord had called them by name and filled them with the Spirit of God. It was God who filled them with all wisdom and understanding in their particular crafts so that they could design and create the varied items needed for the tabernacle. He also put in the heart of some of them the ability to teach. This indicates that the crafts were to be passed on. Don't stop at verse 35, keep reading through chapter 36 and get the full picture of the scope of this project. Notice that the artisans are continuously called "gifted" and referred to as "filled with wisdom."

I hope that these chapters and highlighted verses are an encouragement to you, especially if you are an artist or craftsperson that has been hoping to glorify God with your special area of interest. God is the Master Artist and He still gifts people to glorify Him!

What's new in the garden? Well, I can't say for sure as for this morning, since I haven't been out there. It is about 95 degrees out today according to one thermometer I checked. I spent a little time setting up a sprinkler on the tomatoes, raspberries, and squash early this morning in the vegetable garden. It was already almost unbearably hot then. I did notice last night that the liatris are beginning to bloom. I have been anxiously awaiting their opening. They are a fuzzy purple flower whose many tiny flowers form a tall spike. Very pretty. Also in the "herbaceous border," I have a few nice yellow lillies of the tall spotted variety opening. I'm not sure if they are called Oriental lilies or what, but they are not the stella d'oro daylily types of the landscaping. The garden will need watering sometime this evening. I decided to try to arrange the sprinkler, a traveling type apparatus, later this afternoon. It will do a nice job and hopefully the flowers will get a nice drink that will last a few hours 'til tomorrow. Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment