Thursday, May 27, 2010

REMEMBERING

I will be changing my practice of Friday posts and now doing what I will call, "Patriotic Posts" randomly. I thought it appropriate to include some Memorial Day pictures this week!

The pictures here are from the Colon cemetery just down from our house. This statue of a Civil War veteran is just across from the stone you see. The gravestone is that of William Boughtin, our uncle by marriage. Rhiannon discovered some very interesting history about him quite by accident while we were searching for other family history. He was a war hero if you ask me. We were amazed at the stuff we found out. I can't remember everything for sure without digging out the family history records, but he was in many major battles of the Civil War. He was wounded a few times, got sick and still returned to fight after being honorably discharged. He apparently was a man of great regard for his country. It was amazing to discover all this about his incredible service record in a book that we found while searching for other family members, never even realizing he existed.

We now refer to this man who lived generations before us as "Uncle Will." After learning about his amazing life quite by accident, we stumbled upon a picture of he and his wife in later years, probably in the 1880's. My grandmother had it in the family album and their names were right there all along--only we didn't know who they were or the stories behind their lives! His wife was the daughter of our widowed Civil War grandma. Both women were presidents in the Women's Auxiliary of the Grand Army of the Republic (I believe I have that title right!)--Mary B. a county president, and her mother Asenath president of a local chapter here in our home town! They are both buried here in our town cemetery not far from Uncle Will's grave.

It makes me wonder how many interesting lives are represented behind the many flags waving in the cemeteries on this Memorial Day? So many are now forgotten. Some soldiers' graves are so old that they didn't have a flag on them. As you celebrate Memorial Day, I hope it is a day of remembering to be thankful for those who are willing to fight to preserve our freedoms. Just today we learned of a friend that will be going to Afghanistan soon. His particular line of work in the service is very, very dangerous. It makes you realize the sacrifice people are willing to give. "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends." Jesus John 15:13 May we all remember...and be thankful. Blessings, LORI

3 comments:

  1. I was trying to think today if there was anyone on my side of the family that served for the country and I couldn't think of any. I'll have to ask my mother. But coming from an Amish background that might explain it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memorial Day becomes more special every year to me. I think the increasingly obvious erosion of the freedoms so hard fought for make the sacrifices made so much clearer. It is so much easier to take freedom for granted when you don't see the possibility and reality of a life without liberty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad rebelled from the Amish, ran from home and after some odd jobs, joined the Army! He served in Germany (peacefully) for about 3 years and then married Mom and joined the Mennonite church.
    Lori, I appreciate your interest in history and your digging to find out about "Uncle Will." So many are forgotten and you prove your gratitude by researching and writing about them.
    Hey, I, too looked forward to our visit last month. I hope we can visit again soon. Let me know your schedule. If we don't meet in TN or MI, we might meet elsewhere if you begin traveling more and our schedules coincide.

    ReplyDelete