Friday, May 7, 2010

FOUNDER'S FRIDAY--National Day of Prayer

Has there ever been a time in our history when we needed to pray more than now? Well, just for a little information, I learned that the a national day of prayer, such as was observed this week, was actually first observed in 1775. The Second Continental Congress called for the nation to pray for protection during the volatile time of seeking independence. Our Founders recognized the need for including God in our decisions and seeking His favor and protection.

I heard in passing, a little news clip suggesting that some this year were trying to say that the National Day of Prayer was unconstitutional! Wow! Again, look how far we've strayed from our foundings! All you have to do is study a little history to see that many of our founders placed quite an emphasis on prayer and the Christian life.

I decided today to simply mention the National Day of Prayer since it was observed this week and does have a history in the founding of our nation. Instead of highlighting a founding father this week, I hope this little bit of history will remind you to pray for our nation not only on the National Day of Prayer, but every day.

The gardens are flourishing! I wish I had a recent picture, but have been too busy to take many. Rhiannon bought me two wisterias and a silver lace vine for Mother's Day and they are getting a much-needed rain today! The iris are blooming as well as day lilies, lilies of the valley, forget-me-nots-violas and violets, leopard's bane, daisies are almost open, spirea, lilac, wigelia, and I forget what else! A beautiful time of year! Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment