Thursday, May 27, 2010

A VISIT TO MY COTTAGE GARDEN

Here are some pictures of my garden! I hope you enjoy the tour! The first is my current favorite spot in the vast English garden.

Next, devotions in the garden.

Two free finds lend a whimsical touch to the garden.

A close up of the abundant Sweet Williams. The pretty little blue flowers are Nigella or "Love in a Mist." Isn't that pretty name? They self seed freely and each year there are more and more. They are so lovely and I use them for pressed flower pictures.

Next I invite you to my vegetable garden for a moment. These are the cabbages, radishes and peas. I think they look charming! Below them we stray from the garden for a moment to go into the house. I spring cleaned this 8X8 dormer yesterday and added some decorations to the wall. I call this area the "European Corner." I usually love American Victorian antiques, but have this small section of the house that reflects Europe--some Vermeer prints, a little delftware, and the spinning wheel!

The weather is so beautiful that we can't stay in the house for long. Let's go back outside. The next picture is a view from the other side of the garden where the "snow in summer," is blooming profusely.

Another view from the east and then a picture of a recently made garden stone amongst the Sweet Williams. Next is a close up of yet another garden stone--I had too much fun making these!

More Sweet Williams surrounding my old iron headboard.

Next is a picture of the lovely and profuse Meadow sage along my back deck!

And last we wander back out to the vegetable garden to watch Miss Emma pick the first strawberry of the season. One of her first statements upon visiting is "Granny, Berries!" She loves to eat the blueberries and strawberries I have in the freezer. I thought it only appropriate to let her pick the first one of the season!

I hope you enjoyed the visit to the garden! Blessings, LORI



































6 comments:

  1. Her poor little forehead!! She looks slightly deformed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, poor Miss Emma! For all you readers who don't know, Miss Emma received some kind of bug bite in a tender spot on the forehead causing her eyebrow to swell considerably. Same thing happened to her last year about this time and she was fine, it didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pictures-it all looks so serene-no one would guess the hours that all of this involves. Definitely a labor of love:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks,Pat. Yes, you are right! A garden of this magnitude is not able to be kept completely perfectly without help--which I do not have! I'm trying to ignore the weeds this year and concentrate on enjoying the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sweet williams are gorgeous. My grandmother called them 'gilly flowers' and I always think of her when I see them. I enjoyed visiting your garden. It is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam: Thank you so much for the lovely comment. I enjoyed your garden posts as well! I'm glad I got the pictures when I did for the heat and drought has begun to take a toll on the flowers!

    ReplyDelete