Thursday, May 13, 2010

FOUNDER'S FRIDAY--A CAPABLE SEAMSTRESS

I felt it appropriate this week to highlight Betsy Ross and the American flag on Founder's Friday since I was showing off my own needlework on a recent post. As well as that, I have heard bits of news lately concerning something that appears to be a distaste on the part of some for our flag. I haven't been able to listen long enough to make much comment on that, for I wouldn't have my facts straight, but this is nothing new. This kind of nonsense seems to occur every once in a while. I remember other incidents of flag burning and so on when I was younger. It seems every so often someone makes news for such despicable stuff. To behave in such a manner is an insult to those who died to make us free, rallying under the symbol of our flag. I remember returning to the United States after my first trip abroad and I was never so glad to see American soil as I was that day. I appreciated my country anew and felt like kissing the ground of the Detroit airport (I'd been to Detroit many times before and never felt like kissing the ground!) when I departed the plane. We truly do not realize how blessed we are to be living here until we see other places where life is not so easy. I enjoyed visiting other countries and honor and respect them and their citizens, but I LOVE my own country deeply and thank God for placing me here.



Betsy Ross was a Philadelphia upholsterer at the time of the Revolution. The legend of the first flag goes something like this: George Washington and two of the signers of the declaration visited her shop and commissioned her to make a flag from a sketch Washington showed her. She supposedly suggested changing the six pointed star to a five pointed star, showing the gentlemen how easy it would be to create a perfect star from a fabric folding technique. The flag we now have reflects Betsy's suggestion.



Apparently this story was not public until nearly 100 years later when a grandson of Betsy's told it. Whether or not it is accurate doesn't really matter all that much as far as I'm concerned. The lesson that I find in it all is that even a widow lady (Betsy was a widow) could conceivably use her God-given talents to do her country a great service. After all, someone made the first flag--someone who had to have needlework experience. What do we have in our hands to use for the sake of our country? Will we be patriots who look for ways to use our talents to promote the good of our nation?



If there ever was a time that all American patriots are needed to rally to the cause, it's now. Ask God what special thing you might be able to do to help return America to its roots of freedom and traditions of honoring God. The Lord will always use a willing vessel. I am encouraged by the Betsy Ross story. To think, a simple bit of needlework made such a huge impact on our nation for years and years! What can your special talent or gift contribute? Blessings, LORI

4 comments:

  1. I've always loved the Betsy Ross story. It seems so real. As if this country were begun by family.

    It is easy to think that we have nothing to contribute. I feel that way so often in so many areas. For now I truly feel my focus has to be on raising my boys to be Godly men. It's not all that glamorous but it's a calling I've never heard anyone who did it right say they regret doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are right, those who spend time raising Godly children are never sorry. I long for the day when someone needs advice or info from me on those type of subjects. I didn't do everything right, and of course, I had a wonderful husband that was part of it all, but there are little tidbits of info that I found helpful. Maybe that's a future blog! I look back and know it was God's grace that covered many of my mistakes. Blessings to you in your life calling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly feel like I'm doing a good job most days, but then I'll have one of those days when I feel I am convinced I've failed completely and they are all three destined for miserable lives of insecurity and want. I am thankful that those days are mostly based on my overreaction or emotional reaction and pass quickly, but they come none the less. I think a blog on those tidbits is a great idea. I am realizing more and more how many mothers are struggling and feeling lost and alone in their troubles. I think that feeling of being alone is one of Satan's favorite deceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to feel the same way. I remember one day waking up and realizing that I was finally qualified to be the "older woman" described in the Bible that is supposed to help teach the younger women. I think the churches often lack forums for that kind of thing. I wouldn't be much good at giving practical advice such as how to get kids to take a nap or how to get them to eat their vegetables--it's more like I think I might have spiritual adivce. Maybe a future blog on that is in order. I often think too, that it must have been God really intervening in my situation because I see all the things I did wrong and wonder how they turned out to be good kids serving the Lord? I also wouldn't be good at trying to advise someone on "success" as defined by the world. My kids are doing ok, but they didn't go to college and aren't making huge money. Success is defined in a lot of ways. They are successful at life, glory to God!

    ReplyDelete