Friday, October 2, 2009

A SURPRISE ITEM AND MORE MODESTY THOUGHTS

I want to tell you that I have a little surprise coming to my house in a week or so. If you care to, go ahead and make a guess as to what it might be. I'll give a clue every day. First clue: It's not my new granddaughter--she's not due until the end of December at the earliest.

This particular "thing" is something that I've waited for for a long time--years and years, in fact.
I am very excited about it!

I got to go to town today and shopped pretty much all afternoon. I tried a few things on, but brought nothing home from the clothing line except three pair of bargain socks! I got some really nice socks for 50cents per pair. It was the usual shopping trip, me trying on stuff and finding nothing that fit right. I mentioned this dilemma in the modesty discussions last week. I did notice today though that there are a few items in the fall clothing line that are modest and it might be a good idea to take advantage of that. The new long, blousy plaid shirts are pretty modest since they cover the hips if you wear them with jeans. I wanted to mention last week that I've noticed that when the fashion trends change, often there will mercifully be one or two items in a new year that will be modest and can be used easily.

When Rhiannon and I were in England a year and a half ago, the style of dresses over leggings was already popular there. If the dresses are sufficiently long and loose, I think this is one of the nicest modest styles to come along in a while. It gives women the luxury of slacks, combined with the more dressy look of a dress. I bought a dress like that immediately when I got home. A friend of mine bought one too and we were the first to wear that style to church. She felt so self-conscious that she and I determined to wear ours on the same day so we'd not feel like we stuck out in the crowd too much (does that sound like junior high?)! Anyway, today's modesty tip is to search hard for the few modest things that are on the market in any given year and then take advantage of them for when the "drought" of modest clothing comes along!

You may wonder why modesty is an issue with me. Well, as I said, we were all taught as little girls to dress quite differently than you see nowadays. I can literally remember when the high school had "slacks day" during Winterfest so the girls could wear slacks once during the school year! I was in elementary at that time (late 60's) and so it didn't apply to me. We little girls were allowed to wear slacks any time. As well as being ingrained in me, I have already mentioned several scriptures that apply. Because I have written the courtship books, there is also a connection. Most people that will willingly participate in courtship instead of the casual dating of our society are individuals that are looking seriously at all aspects of the Christian life, including the witness they leave with the way they dress. That's another reason to be modest. For the single girls--if you're hoping to marry, what kind of man do you want to attract? If you believe you have to dress very seductively to attract a man, then you will get a man that probably doesn't have your best interests at heart. It's just that simple. Dress modestly and you will be attractive to men who appreciate a woman for her true self.

I'll keep you posted on the "surprise" item each time I write this week! Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment