Sunday, March 4, 2012

CRAZY PATCHING

I started a crazy patch pillow over the weekend. I've done many in my lifetime!

I use a simple method of sewing a single piece to a muslin backing and then placing other pieces over the edges of that one by one. I sew a straight seem and flip the subsequent pieces over to their right side and iron them down.

I "built" a bit of a fan out of five green pieces before applying that to the rest of the block.


Here I am, fan wrong side up, sewing it to the center piece. I think the pictures are out of order! Sorry! After this I flip the fan right side up and iron it to smooth it. When all the pieces are done and the muslin square is covered, then comes the real fun--embroidering over all the seams. Since I call myself the "queen of thread" (more thread in stashes than any woman in the country) this is always a fun challenge.

This pillow is intended for the new old Victorian platform rocker that I donated to my library. It will go in our new history room. I am the "curator" or whatever you want to call it for the history room and we recently broke through a wall and doubled the size of the room to include more files, artifacts, and historical info. We painted the walls a slate blue/grey and dark cream, put an oriental rug (reds and golds) in the center of the room and will add the newly refinished and recovered Eastlake rocker for folks to use while browsing all our new collection!

This last picture is part of my stash of "silks" that I dumped on the sewing room table before starting the pillow project. Hopefully I'll have a finished pillow picture to show you soon!Blessings, LORI








3 comments:

  1. Dear Queen of Threads, the room you described sounds SO beautiful. Please, take a picture! Your crazy quilt will be lovely there, I'm sure!♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had taken before and after pictures as was done all over the rest of the library a few years ago before they moved into the current building. We decided on the changes so fast that it was done and over before anyone thought to bring a camera. The "new" room was previously an old closet--very large. I do think it is pretty, if I do say so myself! And almost right away when the paint was dry a lady came in and sat on the floor for an hour or more and browsed the old scrapbooks and such. I think the new old chair will become a favorite as soon as it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CUTE!

    A steek is when you knit in the round.....at that point of the sweater or garment it is a tube. Then you sew down each side of the center line a row or two off and then CUT the center line all the way up-thus opening your sweater....pin the cut sides down to the inside and go back and pick up stitches for a button band or what have you. I sure learned alot with this project. Wool sweaters are the only things that keep me warm since I started the heart medicine.....sometimes I get so cold I can't believe it.

    The family economics conference is basically what it sounds like....sessions on economics and family based businesses and stuff. Then at the end they will have the Liberty Day celebration, which I am not sure what it is but it has to do with history. lol

    Take Care,
    ~lou~

    ReplyDelete