Tuesday, March 27, 2012

WELCOME TO AFRICA!

This past Sunday we had a Uganda Mission fundraiser after church. We heard a report about how well the crops are growing on the land we purchased as well as a plea for sponsorship of the children attending the school. Above you see the table decorations in the fellowship hall. After services, we had a big chicken barbeque dinner. The meal was awesome, chicken, baked beans, broccoli salad, dinner rolls, jello salad, and assorted homemade pies. There were over 50 take out orders as well as a crowded hall full of "diners."
Many of us dressed in our African clothing and jewelry. In this picture just outside the door of our sanctuary, I am wearing items that I purchased in Kenya back in 2004. The skirt is part of a whole outfit, but unfortunately I can no longer fit the top. The orange colored cloth is actually an apron. I forget what it is called, but the ladies wrap it around their waists while cooking and also it can be used to carry a baby when the bottom part is wrapped around the child and tied to the shoulder as you see I have it arranged.
My shorter necklace and bracelet were purchased in Kenya as well.

After dinner there was also an auction. I donated a copy of "The Call From A Distant Field," my newest book, which takes place in Africa at a mission with similar projects to the one our church sponsors. The unique thing is that I was not attending this church when I originally wrote the book! The first copy of the book to be paid for was this one at the auction! I think that speaks of God's intervention in an interesting way!

I decided to take a step of faith and sponsor a child. This little boy has been on my heart ever since I saw his picture some time ago. Sunday, Rhiannon noticed that his picture was still there amongst those waiting to be sponsored and I suddenly realized it had been almost a year since I'd first considered the sponsorship. I was so convicted that a child had to wait a year while I made a decision that will cost me so little but mean so much to him! I couldn't quit tearing up all afternoon as I thought about a child praying in faith, hoping God would send someone. This time that someone was me....I should have obeyed sooner.

Sponsorship will mean that this little boy's entire family will benefit. Money that was spent for school tuition and supplies will now be freed up for food and basic necessities. This little boy lives in a house with over 20 other people! And I live in a house of over 3000 sq. feet with only three others! Imagine that! He wants to learn and improve his circumstances--and now I can be a part of God's will for his life! How privileged it made me feel! Blessings, LORI

3 comments:

  1. That's so awesome about the little boy!! The decorations look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that NOW was the right time for you!
    A number from our church group g out to Uganda each year on mission and to support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful program - and how blessed the boy and his family are to be "adopted" by you, Lori.

    ReplyDelete