Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A LITTLE SIGN OF SPRING, A BIGGER SIGN OF SPRING, CHURCHES, AND THE ALABAMA TORNADOES

Found this tiny little sign of spring while we were outside staring at the new tulips! This is a for-sure sign of spring in Michigan when the mushrooms start popping out. Rhiannon spotted it in the grass!
This makes us anxious to go hunt the woods on our newly acquired property to see if there are more over there!








The vase of flowers are some of my favorites from my garden. I sure wish Rhiannon would let me pick some of her tulips to help grace this bouquet!








--A few more thoughts about competitiveness between churches: I believe the situation does exist, though I was glad to hear that my readers had not noticed it all that much.

I talked to a pastor's wife recently (from a small church) who told me of a creative suggestion her church adopted long ago to keep from getting into a competitive spirit with other churches in their locale. They started posting the name of an area church in their bulletin each week so the congregation could pray for that specific church. I thought that was a lovely way to avoid exclusiveness and competition.



I do believe that competitiveness existst since I have sensed it myself and heard certain pastors refer to situations that reflect this could be going on--although it may be unintentional. Americans have a tendency to think materialistically about things, including church. This means that the "fast food," "supermarket," "shop 'til you drop," mentality we so often embrace can translate to our church selection and attendance. I heard one pastor say that he felt people use the question of "where can I get the best deal" when deciding where to go to church.

I appreciate the comments you posted on this matter. In the next post, I'll explore this a bit further and I hope you will have more thoughts to add.

PS: Dear Friends of mine live in the hardest hit towns of Alabama that were seriously affected during yesterday's tornadoes. We have visited them often in the last few years and it was very strange to watch the weatherman standing in front of stores where I've shopped--little out of the way places that are suddenly in the news--negatively. My friends are without power, have roofs blown off, windows out, and neighbors dead. I am praying for their recovery in this whole mess. I hope you'll think of them as you pray today as well. Blessings, LORI




























































































































































4 comments:

  1. It was so weird to hear about the tornado's touching down so hard in a place that I've been! Definitely have them in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Kori. I just read an email from our friend. Truly the losses some of the family and neighbors experienced were tremendous. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to read that your friends were involved in the disaster.Our prayers go out to all caught in the devastation.

    Hope you have some good weather and spring flowers soon.

    Hope you managed to enjoy the wedding on tv which was spectacular in every way. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Barbara, the wedding was LOVELY! We did watch the coverage in the mid-morning and into the late evening! It was just a treat for us!

    ReplyDelete