Saturday, April 2, 2011

ON MY PET SHELTER SOAPBOX!



It has been on my heart to do a post like this for a long, time. The other day I saw some billboards by a local animal shelter/society that touched me so I couldn't get them out of my heart. Therefore, I'll get on my soapbox for a few moments!


First, I want to say I'm not an animal rights activist. I believe we have dominion over the animals, (Genesis 1:26-28) but that does not include mistreating them or making unwise choices with their lives. Yes, my husband, son, daughter, and even daughter in law hunt, and no, I don't have a problem with that. Taking an animal for food by a quick, humane kill is biblical.


The heart of the matter to me is the attitude many folks have about pets. I have noticed an increased number of discussions, advertisements, and so on about the popularity of what I call "designer animals." I hear a lot of folks even down here in "rural-ville" talking about getting puppies or kittens that were specially bred and paying big bucks for them.


Instead of purchasing an expensive pet why not adopt an animal from a shelter? Is there anything wrong with loving a pet that is not "designed" to your specifications? Would we do the same to our children when they are not perfect? (Scary thoughts). Most of the animals, cats and dogs, that we've ever had were adopted from our local animal shelter. Two of them were puppies bred for sale and then relegated to an uncertain destiny because of defects or lack of "market." They have all been wonderful, loving additions to our family and we didn't regret the decision at all. Why should we be creating more pets when there are already so many that are unwanted--born into the world usually through the laxity of owners who refuse to have their pets spayed and neutered.


I remember watching the movie, "Amazing Grace" that came out a few years ago about the life of William Wilberforce. He was the English statesman that campaigned tirelessly for the abolition of the slave trade. I was thrilled and surprised to learn that he was also instrumental in seeing attitudes about animal cruelty change in his land. I felt such a kinship with him on all his efforts, but concerning the animal cruelty work that he campaigned about, I realized that what I always thought of as a "secular" concern really is near to the heart of God. After all, the animals are part of His creation too. Originally we were designed to live in complete harmony, sharing the world with them and managing them with God's ways in mind.


I think it is high time Christians took a look at this "small" concern that is not usually thought of as a spiritual focus and led the world in reform. Let's do our part to help steward this part of our creation. The loving rewards are endless when those beady little eyes look up into yours, depending on you for care and companionship, completely loyal and ready to be your best friend!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting, Lori! (We don't have any pets here. I haven't thought about this subject a whole ot...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, Readers: This kitten pictured is "Milkweed," a cat we adopted from our local pet shelter. Unfortunately, she came up missing after only a month or so. We searched and searched and never found her. We think she was snatched by a large hawk while outdoors. This happened to a friend's kitten as well and there was no trace of her anywhere. We were so sad, but now have another kitty, Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A full page spread in newspaper this week of the latest with pets in the USA. Having the dog clipped and dyed to look like something else.
    Sick, Sick, sick in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete