Saturday, April 9, 2011

FIVE GENERATION PICTORIAL




I thought you might like to see a pictorial family tree! Obviously, the first picture is me standing out in my English Garden a few years (and a few pounds) ago! The next two pictures are of my Grandma, Alma Gertrude Bartholomew Happel Moore. I was a Happel. The first picture of her is when she was about 16, I think. I still have the dress she wore. It is pink. Largely because of her pictures that she left me and the rich history in the stacks of letters she and my Grandpa sent back and forth while he was in WW1, the styles of that era are probably my favorite vintage looks of all! I included the next picture of her because the pose is similar to the one of me above.


The next few pictures are in order of newest to oldest. The last one is the lady we call "Massachusetts Grandma." Her name was Helen Stanhope Wheeler Liddle. Obviously the picture is of Civil War era. She was born in Massachusetts and through her line we were able to trace our New England ancestry to England in the 1100's.


The next photo is her daughter, Helen Juanita Wheeler Haywood. She is my great, great grandma.


The next photo is Nellie Maranda Haywood Bartholomew. My daughter got part of her name from this Grandma. Nellie is my Great Grandma who died many years before I was ever born. Even my father never knew her. She died around 1916. Isn't it amazing how much all these women look alike? I guess I was thinking a lot about history this week since I spent quite a bit of time at my job engaged in the duties of sorting files in the history room. I helped a few people who inquired at the library for county and family history. I like nothing better! Rhiannon took time to write 10 pages of memoirs of my father (Grandma Alma's son) and it seemed appropriate to share some of this with all of you! I hope to expand on the importance of preserving history in some of the next few posts. I had a hard time getting this post to separate properly, Hope you can still read and enjoy it But for now, Blessings, LORI (See following pics) Alma Gertrude (Bartholomew) Happel



Nellie Maranda (Haywood) Bartholomew


Helen J. (Wheeler) Haywood


Helen L. (Stanhope) Wheeler Liddle (Massachusetts Grandma)

4 comments:

  1. I can imagine how your family values these pictures and all the history your daughter is uncovering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From your comment it looks like you are a busy gal. I don't always have time to comment properly, but please know that I do look at your blog regularly and so enjoy it. The pictures of your family generations are wonderful. My grandmother was a Laura GERTRUDE...how cute. Nowadays you don't hear many babies being named Gertrude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes I forgot to say I can't wait to see your completed projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louellen: Thanks for the lovely comments. I appreciate that you look at my blog and I'm delighted that you enjoy it! Yes, I hope to have some projects to highlight soon. I wonder if Gertrude ever will be popular again?

    ReplyDelete