Monday, April 18, 2011

HOW YA GONNA' KEEP 'EM DOWN ON THE FARM?


I'm excited to share a few pictures of my grandparents during the WW1 years! My Grandpa was a soldier and Grandma was his faithful sweetheart back home on the farm helping her parents (they weren't married yet then)--just a couple miles from where I now live. The old WW1 song asks, "How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm, after they've seen Paris?" My Grandpa wanted to be sent to France, but he never made it there. Most of the time he was enlisted he spent cutting timber for the war effort out in Oregon and Washington. He and Grandma faithfully wrote back and forth for those years and our family is privileged to have stacks of letters--living history chronicles--to see how life was in those days! This is what scares me about email--do we take the time to save our mailings for the benefit of future generations??? Something to think about!



I adore the WW1 fashions and some of these pictures are of my Grandma in her wonderful WW1 era clothing. I would call the coat in the bottom picture a "duster." I once made one for myself and got umpteen compliments (used Folkwear's pattern) but now regret that I gave it away. I intend to make another one, this time for keeps! Notice the collar on Grandma's dress and her hats. I love the dress lengths and the shoes as well! I am currently sewing the "Armistice Blouse" by Folkwear and hope to picture it when it's finished. I trust you enjoyed these pictures and a glimpse into America's proud past. Blessings,


4 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome that you have all those old letters! I'd love to find something like that on my side of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What treasures - these photographs! Coupled with your knowledge of period fashion & sewing skills, they're an almost priceless combination! I look forward to seeing your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I get older, I appreciate these things more. I wish we could turn time back and see what it was like to live in American when more people were Christian and had different moral standards, and a sense of decency that is so often lacking today.

    ReplyDelete