Friday, January 14, 2011

A FAILED DOILY

I have been tatting every evening for the last week. This is the finished project. Now you would think that a veteran tatter (36 years since I learned) would not have a failed project. But doilies are supposed to lie flat. This one doesn't. When I tried to stretch it, one of the joinings came apart. Usually I stretch the doilies I make overnight after each round added. I do this by pinning them onto one of my bobbin lace pillows. I got lazy and failed to do that this time. Then I paid for it in a "puffy" doily.

I have two options. Try to restretch it and fix the join, or make a velvet pincushion and shape it over it and have a lovely, lacey pincushion? Any suggestions? I had intended to sell this doily, but now, I think it's only useful to me. Taught me a lesson on scrimping my time.

How often do we scrimp on our time for the Lord and then think we can just be alright and go on with life? I think this lesson of taking time to work and prepare properly is applicable to our spiritual lives as welll, don't you? Let's present our best time and effort for the Lord! Blessings, LORI

4 comments:

  1. Wow, lady! You've been busy! Wish I had advice re. the recalcitrant doily. Great lesson illustrated here.

    And what can I say about the paintings?! I can't believe these are your FIRST attempts! You certainly have creative gifts and are diligent in honing your skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca: Thanks for the lovely compliments! I felt like the paintings were not what they should have been, though something still made me like them, especially the barn. I was probably too hard on myself. As for the doily, I began stretching it the proper way this evening. Will try the next round tomorrow and try to fix the issues! I made two tatted crosses this evening. Both of those turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure you will find a lovely purpose for your little doily. It is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been stretching the doily and it's recovering! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete