Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A BEAUTIFUL GIFT AND RECLAIMED SNIPPETS






I wanted to take time to post about the projects I've been working on! The first picture was of the wonderful gift I received recently! A dear friend had my name for the Christmas gift drawing for our spinning and weaving group. I missed the Christmas party and didn't get to pick up the gift until late last week. To the untrained eye, this stuff in the heart-shaped chair looks like a big pile of fluff. But to me, it's like GOLD! I was so excited to see these two huge balls of Icelandic roving from my friend's farm! I will surely put that to use! I made her the 'THANK EWE!' note (pictured below) in reply.

I got in the mood to use a bunch of my "waste" tatting--pieces of scrap tatting that didn't work out for one reason or another. I made up all the cards you see pictured by using these little snippets of otherwise wasted lace. It's amazing how perfectly some of the shapes lent themselves to new uses; the sheep and the girl's petticoat, for example!

Is there a lesson to be learned here? Things that we don't value much and might toss aside are very precious in the eyes of God. Sometimes we make the mistake of treating people that way. We don't value others as God values them and tend ignore them or their contributions. Let's be careful to see the value in every person God has created since all people are dear to His heart. (Jeremiah 1:5)

Sometimes it's the small things in life that really count the most--like the tatting that became something very unique with just a little effort. I wonder how many overlooked persons there are in the world that might be doctors, lawyers, teachers, or statesmen, if only one person would value them and give them a chance to succeed? This month marks the anniversary of the famous Roe v. Wade court decision. One can't help but wonder how many babies that are now "missing persons" in our country could have impacted lives had they been allowed to live. As well as grieving for the precious lives lost, we also need to remember that the mothers of thoses babies might have also been hurt or overlooked by someone in their lives. We can only imagine the stories behind the stories.

I hope this post showing my tatting and the joy this wonderful gift of roving will help make the point that many things in life have value far beyond first glance! Blessings, LORI

5 comments:

  1. Love how you made the tatting pieces into other things! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly DID make the point, Lori! (Sometimes I feel like a big pile of fluff! All the more reason to place my life in the hands of the Master Weaver...)

    The cards you're creating are simply b-ewe-tiful! What a great idea and good use of your time and talents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are SO cute! I love texture and surprises in simple things. I love cards too, and I LOVE when detail and thought are put into the things we give away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lori
    Nice to meet you. These cards are adorable. So artistic and delicate and what a great way to use up bits of tatting. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Barbara. Nice to meet you too!

    ReplyDelete