Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Keep the Faith and Pay Attention to Your Cakes!

Just a quick note today. It was a busy day around here. A lot of loose ends to tie up. The rain we are getting prevented very much garden work and that's ok with me! I needed a day off and the plants needed a drink.

We had to get ready this morning and take Daisy in to get her splint removed. She is healing up fine according to the vet and she was glad to get that thing off her leg. Aunt Betty is staying here for a few days and she and Mom met me and Rhiannon in Sturgis for lunch after Daisy's appointment.

Between the vet and lunch, Rhiannon and I found a little shopping time. I had just this morning been thinking that I'd like to cover the keyboard at church with a nice, rich looking, shawl type throw to both look good and also to keep the dust out of the keys. Occasionally we have problems with the keyboard that we suspect are issues of dust particles seeping into the delicate mechanisms of the keys. Sure enough I found the most beautiful, silky, burnout fabric on clearance for $2/yard! My first thought was for a shawl for myself. Then I asked the lady if there was any more in other colors. She showed me to a table where a stack of 2 more bolts both in different colors were waiting! One of them was actually more appealing to me than the one I had initially chosen for my own shawl and also is a perfect compliment to the colors in the sanctuary. So I bought them both. I will have to decide how I want to finish the ends. Years ago, like 30 years ago, a neighbor lady gave me a huge stash of real silk embroidery thread. It shimmers like nothing you've ever seen! I've never used any of it. Some of the colors are perfect for the one that will adorn the keyboard and would make lovely fringe. The problem is that it is hard to work with, incredibly fine and tangly. My hands are currently so rough from garden work despite attempts to smooth them that I can hardly handle the stuff without difficulty. What to do?

I found a little time to sew on the 70's dress today. I re-made the cuffs all out of the green lace and they are miles better than the first ones. Glad I took the time. I also got a little ironing done and some mending. Rainy days are good for that!

I made a cake that I intended to freeze for Sunday dinner. It was a caramel mix. I was talking on the phone and had put the eggs in the bowl with the mix. I walked to another room, still talking and left the cake sitting for a few minutes. Meanwhile Rhi mixed the cake and when I came back out the beaters sat there all full of batter and so I spooned the batter into the pans and popped them in the oven. After about 5 or more minutes, Rhi asked me if I was done putting all the ingredients in the mix. I looked horrified and asked if she had not finished it. She said, 'no,' she thought I did. Well, we yanked the swiftly baking, partially done cake out of the pans and decided it could be quickly resurrected. We put the batter back in a bowl and whipped it mightily after adding the missing ingredient--oil! It looked nice. Back in the oven. We got busy hanging pictures in her room and I forgot the cake. Suddenly I smelled it baking and hurried down to check it. It was overdone. Not burned, just overdone. It tastes good, but is too dry and didn't raise as well as it should have. I'll not use it for Sunday dinner. She mixed up a homemade butterscotch pudding and we'll cut the cake in chunks and mix it in the pudding. That will moisten it and make it useable. Oh, well.

Tonight we start a new series at church. Clint will be teaching on the book of Colossians. Sometimes it seems in our Christian life that we are repeating things we've already learned or read years ago. Like I've read Colossians more times than I can count, but still there's always something new that the Holy Spirit shows us. As well as that, we usually can't name a whole lot of instant new knowledge that we gain every time we meet together as a church, but over time we can all testify that we've been changed for the better from our diligent attendance and study! It's as if you have to look back over your life and remember where you were compared to where you are; then you really see progress. Keep the faith and keep doing the obvious! Blessing, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment