Thursday, May 28, 2009

70's Dress and Garden Pictures

Finally got a few pictures on here. Clint was kind enough to take a little time the other day to photograph me out in the English Garden in the newly finished 70's dress. I regret that the colors are not as vivid in these photos, but you get the idea. Even a few days later, the garden is in fuller bloom. All the shasta daisies are out and many other flowers are making a debut as well.

Do you like the curtains I put around the bed frame? Kori gave me those and they lend a real nice look to the whole scene out there. I am enjoying them and intending to rig up some sort of hanging system to place the many matching curtain panels all around the 3 open sides. I plan to tie them back to the poles most of the time and let them down for sun control and a bit of privacy for studying out there. That project remains yet to be done.

Today we were very busy at a funeral. Clint officiated and there was a lunch afterward with lots of family and friends to visit with. We got home about 3:30. I set to work straightening the house and doing a little cleaning, getting a head start on tomorrow's work. After I got done I took a walk to the woods. There were some berry bushes blooming and I thought I could get some little buds for my flower-pressing projects. Years ago a cousin helped me pick the very tiny little buds from a wild bush. I pressed them and the pale pink colors held well. I used these little buds in nearly every picture I made, but eventually ran out of them. They looked like little rose buds. Well, they were, come to find out! The berry buds look nearly like them and have a pale pink cast if you get them at the perfect stage of development--too far open and they have already turned white. Then I rounded the corner of the woods and there were very, very pink buds on a large bush just waiting for me. They are wild roses. They look so much like the berries that I had mistaken the berries for the flower I wanted. I picked many of them as well as alot of other flowers and leaves, came in the house and got them all pressed.

I noticed pairs of bluebirds and cardinals flitting around the yard this evening. Very pretty. I enjoyed watching them fly back and forth from the clothesline posts to the deck and out to the English Garden. They often land on the post by which I am standing in the picture. Their singing is wonderful.

I've been working rather diligently the last few days on both my books. They are actually both sequels to "The Fields of May." I am trying to push myself to get them ready for publishing. It's a big job, but so rewarding in the end. Don't know how long it will take. The second in the series is basically done, except for typing it up. The third is still under construction. I work on that one when I feel inspired, since it's still in the writing stages! I guess I got inspired yesterday!

In my last blog, I wrote a bit about the love chapter in 1Corinthians 13. The next day while I was reading the Bible I decided to try to memorize some verses. I started with the first few verses of Ephesians. I noticed more really important things about love in that chapter as well. In Ephesians 1:4 we read: just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love. I found that really interesting. It seems to be indicating that we can be holy and blameless if we walk in love or "in Him" we are holy and blameless; but to be "in Him" is to walk in love. Heavy duty thoughts. Staying "in Christ" means walking in love. Just a lot of thoughts to ponder in one verse. I've thought about that for a while and still have the feeling that there's more to discover there!

Just a little note on the dress for you fashion and sewing fans. I don't know what the fabric is for sure, but it is very lemony-yellow and lightweight with a patchwork-style print of darker greens and even a little orange. The bodice laces up and is edged with ecru and white lace. I got the fabric for a very low price, like 88cents/yard or something. The cuffs are light green lace from a curtain I purchased for this project and the flounce lace matches. I realize the dress is very formal, but it is the most comfortable dress you could imagine. It swishes really nicely and just feels elegant. I think I constructed it for less than $20. I have much of the curtain fabric left to use for something else.

Garden picture notes: In the second picture I am standing by the entrance gate to the garden. It sits on a bit of a slant to the house. I have clematis climbing the gate on my right (just opened in bloom 2 days ago-after the picture!) and a very fragrant honeysuckle on my left. I confiscated that from JT and Kori's house where honeysuckle grows in such abundance that if you drive in their drive when it's in bloom, the scent is immediately distinguishable. The big bush to my right in the picture is a pale pink old fashioned climbing rose. It's very hardy and shoots out starters everywhere. It grows fast and is very lovely. The first picture is a view from the east side of the garden not too far from the gate. I hope you enjoyed this little glimpse into my garden and sewing projects! Blessings, LORI






No comments:

Post a Comment