Sunday, May 10, 2009

Garage Sale Treasures, Nice Gifts, Lots of Thread, and a Dead Chicken

We have had a busy weekend around here. After exercising and reading devotions yesterday morning, I got a call from a friend who had found the garage sale of all time for seamstresses! Her husband had bought me huge bags of crochet thread and embroidery floss at a sale that was just laden with old time needlework treasures and the owners were "dealing." Rhiannon and I had plans to head toward Three Rivers and this sale was on the way. We got there as quickly as possible.

When we arrived I hurried up to investiage the treasures. It was unbelievable. I saw a little chest of drawers and asked them what the price was. 'Just make us an offer,' was their response. I had $2 in mind, but was too embarrassed to suggest that and so went on to sift through the needlework items. There were literally boxes of old needlework pattern magazines and supplies. I was almost frustrated tying to get through them all. I saw an old classmate I haven't seen for about 20 years and I was trying to be polite and hurry through the books at the same time. I could not possibly scan all the items and so began looking for the old dime store crochet, tatting and various needlework books that I collect. I pulled out every one of them and set them aside filling a box of only things I was interested in. I ended up finding a jar full of embroidered rose appliques--they sell about three to a package for probably $2 in the stores. This jar was full of probably 50 of them in all colors. I use them on baby items. As well as that, I found lots of books, a brand new pair of jewelry pliers still in the package, two 3 or so yard pieces of fabric that was rather unusual and very pretty, an old dresser scarf stamped for embroidery, a huge bag full of zippers, and on and on. I bought lots of lace and notions. I got it all for $4. That included an old cosmetic case from a luggage set. I had just prayed for one of those about a week ago. I had one when I was young and they were so handy for traveling. They are hard-shelled and will hold a blow dryer, all the make-up you could ever want and bottles of shampoos, etc., yet they are very small and easy to tote. Just as I was leaving I was about to offer $2 for the dresser just as a man walked up and offered $2 for it and they said, 'yes,' as he loaded it on his car. Bummer. Missed that one.

After we left I realized I should have tried harder to look through some of the boxes of stuff for more treasures. Some boxes were so full it was hard to sift through them. When I came back they had them all out on the drive to the garage. I was thrilled since it was so much lighter out there and easier to see. Just as I started rummaging through the first one, the owner came up and said, 'we just sold all this stuff.' Missed again. Oh, well. I got some real serious treasures out of this stuff for a low, low price and spent much of the rest of the afternoon sorting through all the thread.

Here's an interesting side note. I have long ago declared myself, "The Queen of Thread." I honestly believe that if someone could measure all the thread I own; sewing thread, crochet thread, tatting cotton, yarn, embroidery floss, they'd declare me the winner for the state--maybe the nation--by quite a few yards. More times than I can count people have come to me and given me these huge quantities of thread, especially embroidery floss and crochet cotton usually from a loved one who has passed away or a grandmother who can no longer see to to needlework. I have one six drawer cabinet completely filled and grouped by color. Most of it is tatting cotton which is very fine. My sewing room closet holds bins and bags of more crochet thread. One drawer of another dresser has sewing thread grouped by color and a large basket and several drawers of a dresser in another room hold my yarn. I have a large box filled with envelopes organized by number each containing embroidery floss and 2 or 3 more bags of more floss that is unorganized. It's really kind of ridiculous. However, I never turn down thread or sewing notions. I sort out what I think I can use and give the rest to others or the church. It is getting harder to find the good old threads for crocheting as well as the fact that they are expensive. Tatting cotton is virtually impossible to find without a hunt. Even some of the major stores have discontinued their embroidery floss which only a few years ago was a hot item. I think every color of floss that I sorted through yesterday had an embroidery needle in it. I confiscated them all and intend to save them as well. What fun!

Today was a great Mother's Day. We had both moms and JT, Kori, and Emma over to grill burgers after church. I had to teach SS this week and although I hate to admit I wasn't prepared, it really went well. We all took naps after lunch. Some of the family watched my Mother's Day gift from Clint, several of the episodes of the Carol Burnett Show. JT and Kori brought me 3 gallon size perennials--all ones I didn't have. JT was just about laughing when I said they were all ones I didn't yet own! That's nearly as possible as giving me a thread I don't own! He picked them out himself and so that makes it even more impossible since he barely knows what a perennial even is! I was so thrilled! You can never have enough flowers.....or thread!

Well, the down side of the day was coming home from church to see Rhiannon walking around the barn with her hands held up indicating she was helpless about something. Two chickens were out. A common occurrence lately. They are flying the coop alot. I walked out to help her corral them and she said that one inside the coop looked dead. Sure enough there was one chicken that was on her way to her reward. She had to be disposed of and that was all before dinner. I know that's part of farm life, but I can't help feeling a little sorry since they are kind of like pets. It just reminds me that death was never meant to be on this earth. It's a result of the fall and it's unnatural. I am so thankful that Jesus overcame death for us and that we have a day to look forward to the final cessation of death, the time when no more death will occur. Meanwhile we Christians can be fearless in the face of death because we have the assurance that we are both alive in spirit as we live and alive in spirit for eternity with Him when our physical body dies. What a deal!

What's blooming? All the stuff I mentioned a few days ago plus the tall phlox. Happy Mother's Day! Blessings, LORI

No comments:

Post a Comment