Thursday, July 21, 2011

THOUGHTS FROM A FORMER PASTOR'S WIFE--PART 2





THOUGHT NUMBER TWO--The Leap Of Faith

When we made the decision to leave our pastorate, we were sure that we had done the right thing. I still believe we did though there have been some challenging days since. But, for the most part, this move was a leap of faith that increased our faith and tremendous, unexpected blessings seemed to follow. We have had some of the greatest victories of our lives in the economic realm since resigning, while at the same time having some of the biggest uncertainties face us as far as earning money goes.

Even after seven months my little part time job is the ONLY income we can count on in a "natural" or "normal" sense--by that I mean that I usually know how often I will work. But all the jobs Clint does (he has at least four part time jobs) are "on call" type jobs. You never know when or IF you will be needed. He barely worked during the month of June and then had more income the first few days of July than all of June combined. There is absolutely no way to project our monthly income until the month is over!

Our already limited monthly income has been reduced by about half most months. We had been working under a sizeable pay cut for the 18 months previous to our resignation. We had offered to take the cut, so please don't think our church was purposely trying to limit our income! But that meant that most savings were already dwindling. Still, I have been amazed that Clint may work only a few days to my 12+ days per/month and he always brings in more money than me. I am very happy with my pay by the way--so that's not a concern! I believe the "anointing" for earning an income is on him as head of the family so that even in these circumstances, he never fails to provide. This fact alone increases my faith.

Some people would call us fools for taking such a risky step this late in our lives. as I've said before, I wouldn't recommend doing such a thing lightly. Our past experience walking through the Christian life helped us recognize the proper timing and how to trust for provision.


Stay tuned for my next post on "Thoughts From a Former Pastor's Wife."

Meanwhile, on other fronts....I'm moving forward on publication of "The Cry From a Distant Field." Hooray! Also we are experiencing a very serious heat wave here in Michigan. Thankfully, we have air conditioning in our house! Today I spoke at a tri-county ladies' prayer luncheon quite a distance from my home. The meeting went so well! Their usual meeting room is not air conditioned so we met in an adjoining room. It was pleasant, and the ladies were so sweet to turn out in such weather, but it did get a little warm before the event was over. We had a great time together and I continue to marvel at how the Lord seems to use stories from our lives in our evangelistic and church-encouraging efforts. Today my topic was about how God spoke to my heart while I was in Africa in 2004! There was a lot of interest in my books and I was thrilled for that!

Stay cool, and BLESSINGS, Lori

2 comments:

  1. Rejoicing to hear the report of the victories in the economic realm. Don't know how I missed the last post, Lori.

    We came home early from our vacation last week for a funeral - and my mother was hospitalized, etc. We tried to finish our vacation at home - but that isn't exactly easy :) Now the heat. I've been slow getting back to normal--and here it is, almost the end of the week already!

    I look forward to hearing more "thoughts from a former pastor's wife". Praying for your continued adjustment and joy in your current situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Confirmation is not essential for moving forward, but it sure helps. :) I'm sure you will see many more encouragements along the way.

    ReplyDelete