Saturday, July 9, 2011

CUT AND DRIED--WILL YOU BE REMEMBERED?

As for man, his days are like grass; As a flower of the field, so he flourishes, For the wind passes over it, and it is gone, And its place remembers it no more. Psalm 103:15-16

The funeral director in my small hometown had three funerals today. One was of a beloved teacher of mine. This is somewhat unusual to have that many funerals in one day in town that size. My husband, Clint, will have worked at three funerals in a week's time by next Tuesday. I worked on filing and cataloguing countless obituaries at the library this week as well. It kind of made me think about our lives and how or if we will be remembered.

This evening I "cut" and "dried" two bunches of the flowers pictured here. One was the yellow yarrow, and the other, the very profuse baby's breath that you see being held up by the iron fireplace grate. It got very big this year and needed a prop! These flowers would quickly fade and be forgotten unless I took pains to preserve them. Our lives are similar. I surely wish some of my ancestors had left better information about their lives. I'd like to know more about them!



But as Christians, we must answer the question, "Will we be remembered?" If so, it should be for our Christlike lives and the people we led to the Lord. We might also be remembered through the children we brought up who carry on the faith after we are gone. It's humbling to think about after reading the above Psalm. It really doesn't take long for us to be forgotten unless we are diligent to leave something greater than ourselves behind. I am getting first hand experience with this as I work in the library's history room. So many people come to me to get information about a long-lost relative or a house they once lived in. I've been living in this vicinity for 50 years now and I realize that with the death of my Dad and Grandma (and each generation) lots of information about our friends and relatives was lost.


Make an effort to live in a way that will influence generations to come by leaving a legacy of Christian faith and leading many to the Lord. Great people of the faith can trace their spiritual ancestry-by that I mean those that led them to the Lord or influenced them. Be one of those influencers that takes many people to heaven with them--preserving a lasting memory that is worth more than gold. Blessings, LORI













No comments:

Post a Comment