Saturday, July 30, 2011

THOUGHTS FROM A FORMER PASTOR'S WIFE--PART FOUR




I am excited to post another installment of my "Thoughts From a Former Pastor's Wife," and show you some of the garden's latest glories! Above is a lavender liatris and below some peachy colored daylilies! I've been picking wild blackberries as big as your thumb, but I think today was the last picking!








THOUGHT NUMBER THREE--FITTING IN TO A NEW CHURCH

There is a strange phenomenon that occurs for a former pastor and his wife--fitting in to a new church. With us exiting the picture we hoped it would be possible for the new pastor to carry out his duties without former leadership clogging the way. There was simply no other way to handle this. That meant we needed to find another church, though we currently still live in the same community.

We did this in one simple stroke. We never visited anywhere else, we just knew where we should be. Our new church has been wonderful to us and we are "pastored" for the first time in a long time. We have completed some of the membership classes that they offer and are currently making our way through the various trainings they recommend.

However, there are drawbacks in moving from leadership to congregational member. I never realized how easy it was for me to attend church when I was paid to do it! I'm ashamed to admit it! I never could understand why everyone else wasn't there every time the doors were open like we were. Now that we have a different schedule and I work as well, I realize the difficulties families faced in making it to church functions. Plus, I always knew the schedule of EVERYTHING going on at church since Clint kept the calendar. I was used to just hopping in the car whenever it left the house and it was a given that I'd be in it and ready for church. Now we must make an effort to stay abreast of what's happening in our new church. It's a bigger church and in another town. All these factors make it challenging to attend every function.

I also think there was in my mind and heart a great desire to be accepted coupled with some trepidation about how another church would receive a former leader. I am not sure how much of my wonderings were fact-based or just imagination. We have been received warmly and embraced. But think about it, how many "FORMER" pastors and wives do you know?

If they came to your church, what would you do with them?

Are they valuable to you or a threat?

How does the leadership at your church view them?

Thoughts to consider. I think the American church needs to deal with these questions since church doors are closing at an alarming rate which in turn means pastors have the need to be absorbed into other churches at an alarming rate. Many couples each year become former pastors, thrust into secular employment and a new church due to various circumstances.

I hope you will consider the things I've said and think of former pastors you know. Maybe this little glimpse into our lives will help you relate to former pastoral couples should your paths cross! More in future posts.....Blessings, LORI



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're getting a good view of life from the other side of the pulpit...

    Continue to find your identity as a much-loved daughter of the Heavenly Father - apart from your "role" - former OR present! Truthfully, I don't look at others in my church as doctor, teacher, factory worker, former this or former that...just people whom God loves and Jesus died for! My brothers and sisters in Christ. Co-workers. Fingers, elbows, hands, legs, neck - all parts of the Body--coming together to worship & serve & love on each other and carrying the light of Jesus into our "worlds"...

    Your flowers are beautiful, Lori. And I'll bet those blackberries are delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We attend a pretty large church and there are several "formers" in our congregation. Mostly I view their situation with a lot of respect. I find it pretty impressive for someone who is used to leading to find a contented position following. Typically, these folks end up in church leadership somewhere. Teaching a class, leading a Bible study etc., and they are truly a blessing to the rest of the congregation. They have so much to offer. I am sure your new church is blessed to have you as well...when you show up...slacker. :)

    ReplyDelete