Sunday, February 27, 2011

ONCE UPON A TIME.....

I thought "Once Upon A Time," was a good title for this fairytale picture! Who is the young couple? This is a picture of Clint and I headed off to the prom in 1979, I believe! That's the year I graduated. We never went to any of my proms, so it was a Centreville High School event, I'm sure. This dress is one of my all-time favorites. It was a voile fabric with rosebud clusters in the print, very sheer and airy. I loved the sleeves and collar. Two years ago I made a reproduction dress of the same basic pattern (the dress in the picture was purchased) and posted pictures of it on this blog. I love, love, love the style! and love how the flowering bushes in this picture mirror the dress fabric. I don't like my hairstyle, though. Too tightly pulled back. We were only about 18 then. My how time changes things!

In response to a comment on the last blog, I'll explain a few details. Clint and I are doing some traveling/speaking engagements since resigning our pastorate of 18 years last month. So far, we've spoken in three different churches and are going to a church in northern Indiana next week. In addition to that, the pressed flower pictures and tatting I posted recently are a hobby of mine that is now helping to supplement a little here and there, bringing in a little extra cash!

There was a question about my job as well. I am currently working at the public library in our old hometown--12 miles from our house. I wanted this job for years!When the kids were growing up and we were in the library every other day or so, I thought, "someday I'd like to be a library clerk in this library." The same week our resignation was final I was hired! It was one of the amazing confirmations that God used to bless us as we were stepping out in faith and starting a new chapter of our lives. I work two days a week and that's just right for me! And, yes, I continue to write. I'm working on the third in my courthip fiction series, "The Call From a Distant Field." This book takes place mostly in Africa and follows the families from the first two books as the years unfold. Many of the details for writing this book were reflections of things I noticed on my 10-day trip to Africa in 2004. I hope it will be out in the next few months. It's almost complete and we're in the process of designing the cover. I will be speaking at the library on Tuesday evening this week as part of their "local authors" series. Any of you that are in the immediate area are welcome to attend and cheer me on! I'd appreciate the support! I'll be signing books as well, talking about my new book, and giving background on the other books. Thanks to all of you for the lovely comments--I've got lot more projects to post about whenever I finish them! Blessings, LORI

5 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful picture, Lori. You both look very mature...and I happen to think your hairstyle was MOST attractive. I sure wish I lived closer! I'd be there to "cheer you on"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always fun to drag out these old photos. Hard to imagine how we all looked decades ago. Brings a smile to the children's faces! I guess it must be what you are wearing but you both look a lot older than 18.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just typed a lovely comment and I think I pushed something bad and it disappeared. Anyway, you may get two comments from me or just one or NONE. Who knows?
    I graduated in 1979 as well. So much has happened since then. Looking back it seems that time has just flown by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that in Grandma Sal's backyard?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Rhiannon, that is in Grandma Sal's backyard. I should have said, "flowering tree," not "flowering bush," though she had a profusion of both.

    ReplyDelete