Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A PICTURELESS POST UPDATE

Just wanted to post a little before Thanksgiving. We got a big surprise when JT, Kori, and the girls walked into our house on Saturday evening! They had called Friday evening asking us to pray for Emma. Seems she'd been under the weather with stomach issues and they thought she was doing better. They planned a surprise trip home from Colorado and when they put her in the car, she vomited all over. So they headed to the emergency room instead of to Michigan. Two hours later they called saying the doctor said she'd be fine, gave her something for nausea, but that the trip was off. I suspected it was still on for some reason, but calculated their ETA for sometime Sunday.

Well, were we ever surprised when they did show up, but sooner than we expected! They drove straight through, taking turns sleeping! We were able to spend a lot of time together eating, visiting, and playing games over the last few days.

Tomorrow Rhiannon and I have to take off (yes, on Thanksgiving day) to make it to a wedding in Pennsylvania. Rhiannon is a bridesmaid for a Bible college friend and must arrive before Friday night rehearsal. So the kids came home for Thanksgiving, but we had a quick turkey breast meal yesterday instead of tomorrow since she and I will be gone. Clint is invited to three different meals and might join JT and Kori at Kori's family's on Friday so he can spend a little extra time with them before they go home on Saturday.

So for the last few days I have cooked happy meals for a full house again and enjoyed little tea parties with Emma. Sophie is walking and she was very sweet and sociable to us. Seems like last time we saw her (only 5 weeks ago) she was a baby, and now she's becoming a toddler who likes to interact, smiling and hugging everyone. We read our favorite books, watched our favorite nature shows, and played with all the favorite toys. Once I saw them I realized I had missed them much more than I ever realized. Saying goodbye tonight was a heartbreaker all over again. I didn't cry too much this time, though, hoping another visit will be only about three weeks away.

As well as that, Clint started a sabbatical on Sunday. We haven't taken one since 2004. This was a HUGE year for us in many ways. His mom moved out of her house of 49 years and since he was the only child, much of the organizing and clearing out fell to him. Getting her settled into a new place was a lot of work. As well as that, JT moved to Colorado and we took a trip out there to help Kori move. We became instant surrogate landlords (not really much work to that!) for their home (now rented, thankfully). The changes were mostly big emotional changes and they took a toll on both of us. It was even more so for Clint as his mom left the home he grew up in. As much as we wanted her to leave and get into a more manageable home, I admit I almost shed a tear or two myself the last day we were there and the house was empty. Plus having a son who lived less than a mile away move 20 hours away was a big adjustment for Clint, the father that was often around (preachers have home offices!). Since we were a homeschool family, it made us very close. This is the first real separation we've experienced as a family since Rhiannon went to Bible college in 2002. Even that was only 4 hours away and lasted for a nine month school year.

I chipped my front tooth yesterday, but thankfully a quick and inexpensive trip to the dentist this morning repaired it good as new!

We have much to be thankful for this year and we are very aware of that. God has been so good to us. He gave me some very special assurances when JT and Kori first talked of moving away to attend Charis Bible College. It has made me thankful. It made the transition easier as well.

When we get back from PA, I will have two days before we have to leave for the annual Iowa trip. I hope to post some really great stuff as soon as I can! Take care, Happy Thanksgiving, and Blessings, LORI

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! I see there WEREN'T empty places at your table. And you are definitely a family on the run! Blessings on your travels & separations. Want to hear more about the Sabbatical. I'm not sure we've ever HAD one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time in all of your adventures. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete