Thursday, November 4, 2010

HANDSPUN HAPPINESS


Proverbs 31:19, "She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her handss hold the distaff."
Proverbs 27:26, "The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goats are the price of a field."
Here is picture of me in our front yard holding my latest skeins of spun yarn. This group is Alpaca/Wool blend. I really enjoy spinning and knitting, but when I was thinking about the Proverbs 31 woman, I had to wonder if the charm would sort of disappear from the hobby if it were a duty--part of the necessary work of a woman. What if I had to actually spin all my thread, then weave it, then cut the cloth to make clothing? Since I also have some experience weaving, I can't begin to imagine the amount of work that would involve. I can't spin yarn fine enough to suit me right now, let alone fine enough to weave into cloth for clothing! I've been trying to consistently produce nice sport weight or fingering yarn with an eye to lace weight eventually. Yet, even that would be pretty large thread size to be made into cloth!
The sweater I have on in the picture is one I made a few years ago. The yarn is a bulky/chunky type of novelty yarn. I love it and yet it was a little scratchy on my neck as I wore the sweater today. I can't imagine what some forms of homespun would have been like for everyday clothing. It's so hard for me to think about creating all my clothes from the sheep to the shirt. But our ancestors did it on a regular basis. No wonder the Proverbs 31 woman was revered! I have trouble cooking supper sometimes and she was doing all kinds of hard work on a daily basis!
Well, anyway, it was a beautiful fall day here. Though it was cold, the skies were a lovely mix of dark clouds and vibrant blue skies with sunshine and shadows alternating. The browns of the late fall leaves and the occasional evergreen against dry yellow corn fields just made scenes worthy of a painting, in my estimation. This is one of the prettiest times of year, I think. I went to my spinning and knitting group today and had a great time. I hope you enjoyed the day too. Think of the Proverbs 31 woman while you are doing your daily tasks and be thankful for ready-made clothing, electric mixers, washers and dryers, freezers, and so on....Blessings, LORI

7 comments:

  1. Lori,
    I love your picture and I must agree about the work involved in being a proverbs 31 woman, but didn't she have servants? LOL Hey so love your socks, did you use a pattern? This time of year makes me want to knit too.Just got home from seeing that new baby grand of ours and what a great trip we had. Will post soon. Blessings friend, Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look like a hippie. You and Jonica could do a photo shoot of you with your yarn and her in that awful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thankful to have a dish washer now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very thought-provoking...with many reasons to be grateful! With your experience in spinning and knitting, you bring the truths of this chapter to LIFE, Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg: Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I often think about her servants. I thought I wanted a servant until one day, through a set of circumstances, I got one (I'll save the explanation). It's not all it's cracked up to be! Yes, I used a pattern, but I want to get so good at socks that I don't need one.

    Yes, Rhi, I have a little of the hippie style in me, as you know. Remember my posts about that? And after all, I purchased the AWFUL dress she wore!!!

    Love those dishwashers, though the one of the jobs I hate most is emptying it. I don't know why.

    And, thanks Rebecca for the lovely comment. I hope I can someday be used to more fully bring the scripture to life for folks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg, glad you got to see the grandbaby. We got word that Sophie took two steps yesterday and it made our hearts rejoice for her yet ache that we aren't there to see her first little attempts at walking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since Meg was asking, I used a pattern from Patons Next Steps Four Socks and Slippers booklet. Also I enjoyed using their lovely, Patons Kroy Socks yarn. Very nice to work with.

    ReplyDelete