Wednesday, September 29, 2010

REPLETE WITH RIBBONS--WELL, NOT EXACTLY

Here's the picture of the ribbon results from last week's county fair. I had a good year, but not an outstanding one. More blue ribbons than red, no white ones, but no "big" ribbons either. I am always working for the Judge's Choice in the different categories since the ribbon is huge, and represents a major distinction. Plus, it pays a much larger dividend and who can't use that?

Our fair is paying premiums of 70% of the former rates since the state had to pull all the funding for county fairs during the economic crisis. At least that's the way I understand it. Still I got a nice little check when all was said and done and not having a job, every little bit is like gold to me. A friend of mine has a goal of entering 50 items and this year she had over 30. I think I'll set that kind of goal for next year. I have one item in mind that I've thought of making for years. It's a huge tatted tablecloth that has over 2500 individual motifs in its design. I would hope against hope for a Judge's Choice on that one and it would be crushing if it didn't happen! Maybe someday I'll get it completed!

Just by way of description, the large picture in the back is embroidery and cross stitch-a blue ribbon. (That was a surprise to me!) Sophie's dedication dress and overcoat is next to it--a blue ribbon. Two little ovals in front of the big picture are pressed flowers on velvet--I make a set every year and have won Judge's Choice in the past. This year I got a blue ribbon on those. In front of that is the little embroidered oval picture that I posted in a picture of the "farm corner" before. I could only enter one and I chose the covered bridge. It won a blue. Underneath that is a crocheted table runner that got no ribbon. I didn't quite understand that one, but that's the way the ribbon awarding goes. Sophie's little knit hat that I designed is next to that--no ribbon--truthfully I was very disappointed on that one. My long knitted "ribbon" made of scrap yarn and recently pictured on another post of the "European Corner" drew a red ribbon. The large garment is several years old. It's a Civil War costume pattern that I decided to use for everyday wear. Actually only the top is the pattern. I think I just made the skirt from two pieces of straight fabric-no pattern. It received a blue. My knitted fingerless gloves are next to the dress and they got a red. Somewhere in all that is a tiny bobbin lace bookmark, barely visible. It's on another post as well--it received a blue and was the only comparable item in the entire needlework barn. The judge wrote a note on the entry tag, "Beautiful!" I always consider it a privilege to receive a written compliment from a judge because it rarely happens.

It's always nice to receive earthly rewards and recognitions, but let's face it--what we really want is to hear, "well done, good and faithful servant," at the end of our lives, is it not? The crowns we will receive to lay at Jesus' feet are the real important awards. Someday all these items and ribbons will fade away and only the eternal matters. We should be working hard for the kingdom of God while we have breath in us. Blessings, LORI

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Lori. What beautiful work! I never realized there was a monetary award in addition to the ribbons. 30-50 items would be quite ambitious--especially if the one is that elaborate tablecloth!

    You are SO right about eternity and the reward of hearing His "Well done"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. I imagine it is even more lovely up close. That is a lot of blue ribbons and a lot to be proud of. Good job!

    ReplyDelete