Wednesday, September 29, 2010

THE FIELDS ARE WHITE UNTO HARVEST!



















Last evening we had a family get-together to plan for a two-week trip to Colorado. Kori brought the girls over and we talked about leaving on Tuesday in the early morning. Kori needs Rhiannon to help her drive and we will follow with a load of household items. Thankfully, this year for the first time we can remember, the harvest went so well that Rhiannon is done as of yesterday! Usually she works almost to the first of November.

This worked out pretty well. God is blessing the faith of JT and Kori to work all this out. We will be back just in time for a leadership conference we had hoped to attend.

The first picture is of Sophie in my English garden sitting in the bent willow chair probably for the last time in a long time. That's because it's about time to haul the garden furniture in for the year and because she will be moving to Colorado! She's wearing Emma's headband.

The next picture is of me and Emma sitting in the wheel of the big combine that harvested the corn on our back 10 acres! The machine is much bigger than you might think. I am just slightly taller than that tire. Until you get up real close, it's hard to imagine how truly huge this piece of equipment is. Emma wanted to look at it--but mostly from a distance.

The next picture is earlier in the day. I took it to show that the harvest is underway--both in my garden (in view) and in the field. I have been digging potatoes and onions, picking the last of the tomatoes, and shelling the last few dry beans.

Jesus said that the harvest is great and the laborers are few. He also said the that fields are white with the harvest. These are thoughts I've certainly been pondering this season. I learned a first-hand lesson in sowing and reaping as I dug my potatoes. I had done a poor job of planting, making the harvest difficult. The rows were uneven and I didn't "hill" them up. Now it's like hunting to get them dug. About every other bunch gets accidentally speared with the pitchfork or sliced with the shovel. Reminded me of the relationship between seedtime and harvest--there's a proper way to plant in order to reap abundantly. This is true in all of life--personal matter, churches, and literal gardens! Think about that as you live this day! Blessings, LORI

1 comment:

  1. I must say that those kids are adorable and what a great idea to sit in the tractor wheel for a picture. Whoever thought of that was brilliant I say!

    ReplyDelete