Saturday, August 28, 2010

FAREWELL BIRTHDAY PARTIES AND FAMILY TIMES



This year Jt's birthday party, his 24th, was bittersweet. Everyone came over Friday night for our favorite family cake--4 layer chocolate with what we call "Amish" frosting. Would anyone like the recipe? I'll post it if I get requests.





Emma and Sophie are pictured suspiciously near the cake with my son, Jeremiah. I am prejudiced, but I think he's handsome. Sophie's fingers and toes ended up in the frosting before we got the picture done.





I remember the day JT was born 24 years ago like it was yesterday. He was a beautiful little baby. Went in for a checkup in the morning and he was born at 2:10 pm. Easy delivery. No mistaking him for a girl--he looked like a boy right from day one. He was a good eater and a big baby. He's been a blessing from God. Now tomorrow, he's moving to Colorado Springs to attend Bible school at Charis Bible college. Since I'm a big fan of Andrew Wommack's teachings, I'm kind of jealous! We did a similar thing to our parents when we were about his age--actually a little older. We moved our two kids to Ohio to attend Bible school in preparation for ministry. It's really hard to see them go. We've been so close for so long. It will be a change for him. He grew up in our church here at New Covenant and he's never attended anywhere else except for the few Sundays we were in Ohio and he was only 5. (We came home 3 out of 7 Sundays that year so Clint could preach at our home church in pastoral transition at the time).

So because they are leaving so soon, I'm including this family post with pictures of Emma Rose and Sophia Truth. Sophie is getting big so fast. See her posing as a princess?I suppose she'll change the most by the time we see her again. Emma is talking alot and amazes us with her two year old intelligence. In the one picture we are reading her "shapes" book. She can name all the shapes and colors without hesitation. I can't begin to describe how their departure will affect our family and church. JT has been a key part of the worship team for years and years. He plays four instruments and can replace almost any member of the team. He will be sorely missed especially since there is currently no one to replace him. Kori is talented in a number of areas and is a capable and dependable church member.
Pray for us when we come to mind. I am uncertain how this family separation will feel. I'm not liking the thought of missing those babies, but I know they are in God's will with this move. Early on when we found out they were considering a move I felt the Lord speak to me something like this: 'Don't whine about them moving. Many parents would give anything to just have their children show any interest at all in the Gospel let alone going off for Bible school training.' That has given me great comfort in these months of preparation.



The more we have learned about our family--even just in the last few weeks with our genealogical research has added to the bittersweetness of this separation. My ancestors have lived here since before the Civil War. Clint's family was here not long after that, but we've all lived in the midwest forever. To say goodbye is difficult. Yet, the stories are the same in all our research--it appears that our ancestors kept moving-- came here from Europe for a better life and then from New England westward to Ohio and Michigan with a pioneering spirit. Can we deny any less to our children? God bless them--the next generation of pioneers! Blessings, LORI

10 comments:

  1. I know the Lord will bless you and give you grace as you part. We experience it every day as we live at a distance from our 3 children & 9 grandchildren. I'm especially thankful for this age of technology - Skype, email, cell phones, texting & blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true, Rebecca! We've been checking into high speed internet to make more options available. We've talked to JT by cell phone two or three times already today! It amazes me to think of some of the pioneering separations we've learned about in our family history searches. So much more difficult the way those in the early days had to part! Thanks for the lovely sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding to the conversation between you and Rebecca, my sister is in China right now. Our boys know each other though because of the wonderful technology we have. It's a great time to be in God's service in that respect. :)

    About the post: I have often thought that if our boys pack up and move far away, Kris and I both deserve it. We both left our families at 18 and never went back. I hope I am graceful about that if it happens to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Mary. We did something similar to our parents in 1990/91. Only we went to a school in Ohio only four hours away. We were home 4 out of 7 Sundays a month so Clint could preach at our church. Do you remember that or were you already gone from home at that point? Still, my mom says it was the hardest year of her life not seeing the little grandchildren every few days. How is your sister anyway? Technolody? I'm doing well if I can get my email! A problem we must overcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean, TECHNOLOGY. See what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristy is good. They were actually in the states for a while in July. That was a lot of fun for the boys and us sisters as well.

    I do remember you guys being gone but I left around the same time. I moved in September of 90 so I must remember a lot of it from mom's narratives of what was happening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to experience your chocolate cake with Amish frosting.

    I think you have a wonderful attitude about your son moving.

    Thanks for the kind words on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori, Boy can I relate! Our youngest is in the army. He married 18 months ago and went to Iraq for awhile and just last month had his first baby while in school in Oklahoma and I have yet to see my little grandson! Hoping this show brings in enough to get two tickets for hubby and I. And yes those are pictures of my space. I will make that clear on my post. Haven't been around to the other booths yet. Meg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the sympathies, Meg. I hope you can go see that precious baby soon! May you have incredible prosperity from the show. I sure wish I could do something like that. I've checked into it a bit around here, but getting started is tough. One market close by is on Sundays--out of the question for a preacher's wife. Plus my dealer friends tell me they're having quite a time right now. I hope you get those tickets! Are you a fan of the Magnolia Pearl style? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the comment, Louellen. I will be posting the Amish frosting recipe on the next post. Stay tuned! Thanks for your interest!

    ReplyDelete