Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A WHOLE LOTTA BAKIN' GOIN ON!

I finally got to post again! Hooray! It's been along time since I've had a chance to photograph something worthwhile to blog about. We've been busy with alot of miscellaneous stuff.
We had another "farm supper," just recently inviting some friends over who do evangelism in the form of Bible schools. They live in a travel trailer for a large portion of the year and don't have a chance to cook for themselves in a "homestyle" way because of limited refrigeration space, etc.
This picture shows a bit of the work I did prior to their visit. I had been canning peaches that week. Then I baked my oatmeal dinner rolls that everyone seems to like! In addition to that I told them to choose their favorite pie. They like strawberry/rhubarb which fit in well with our theme of a farm supper since I had raised both in the garden and could produce a dessert from our property! The other pie shell was for a chocolate pie--our family's favorite. Except for me and Rhiannon--I like all pies, she is a peach fan; cream pies are our family's favorites. Thankfully, we have Clint's Grandma Sally's famous recipes for all kinds of cream pies. As for the strawberry rhubarb, I had just made one a few weeks before for a carry-in dinner. I had the recipe in my mind already and it was a good thing--I couldn't find the recipe when I went to do this pie. I just sort of "did it" anyway and they thought it was very good. We enjoyed more fried chicken (those we had butchered in June), fresh tomatoes from the garden, corn on the cob, new potatoes with herbs, and even the black raspberry jelly for the rolls came from our fencerows. It was a real fun evening and I was glad we could bless some of the Lord's traveling servants with what we had in our hand--food!
My flower garden is undergoing a huge clean-up. I have worked for two or three days in the last week, pulling weeds. It was almost completely overgrown. I am honestly looking for ways to cut down the work out there by reducing the size of the beds. I haven't yet figured out what to do since all edges of the perimeter are filled with flowers and shrubs that I don't want to sacrifice. Any suggestions? Blessings, LORI

2 comments:

  1. looks and sounds delicious.

    You are going to have to hire a gardener to work with you on those beds. Or...plan a garden share day where people come and dig up portions of plants and bushes that they would like in exchange for some weeding and mulching. It could be an "annual" event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ideas! Next year I'll think about implementing those! I need a few more friends around here....

    ReplyDelete