Saturday, August 28, 2010

TOMATO CANNING 2010





Hi, everyone! I wanted to share these pretty photos of our 2010 tomato canning operation! I've been canning tomatoes for almost 30 years now. Doesn't seem possible. I remember the first time I canned pizza sauce and me and my mother in law had every possible container in the house filled with juice awaiting the second stage of "cooking down." We did the whole operation in one day--picking them, cooking them, juicing them, cooking them down, spicing and flavoring and then canning them. What a lot of work. I have rarely ever done it that way again.

Here's a handy tip. I juice up a few tomatoes at a time--whatever we have ready. I use a Victorio strainer that I got years ago. It's a great time and arm-saving device. If it's a nice day we set the strainer up outdoors or on the porch to save a huge splattering mess in the kitchen. We put the juice in old ice cream pails and freeze it. Then I get it out later in the fall when the mornings are cool and the house needs to be warmed up. I cook it down and add spices, then cook it down some more. Then I fill the jars and give it a few minutes in the pressure cooker! This makes for two days of work instead of one, but a much shorter day each time and helps heat the house up on a chilly fall day. I'm always pressed for time it seems, and this saves me a partial day to use for other work.

So this year's tomatoes were juiced and because there were not too many and I had Rhiannon's help, we cooked it down as well. I froze this batch and we will add to it with the next ripe ones we pick. Then one day in the fall, I'll get it out and cook it down. This year I can add my own herbs since my garden is overflowing with all kinds of basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. I'll also have my own onions to add. The kitchen smelled wonderful and we were thrilled with the beautiful color of the tomatoes!

I am so thankful for the bounty we have. Blessings, LORI

3 comments:

  1. I love canning! I really love doing tomatoes because it means fall is here! That juice sure was pretty this year too! I'm glad that we were able to do some before I had to start harvest otherwise I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to help. The only thing you don't get from the pictures is the wonderful smell and the beautiful fall-like weather we had that day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now the heat is back. I am longing for fall this year because of the very hot summer we had. I will finally have more clothes to wear since my summer wardrobe is small and depleted. Can't wait for cooler weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fresh tomato juice. A little season salt and a mug and I'm good to go. Oh...and some toast made from homemade bread. Then I'm good. :)

    ReplyDelete