Saturday, June 26, 2010

NATURE'S LACE--Part 1--FINE, FROTHY, FILIGREE

I thought it was high time to post some pictures of what some people consider "lowly" flowers--those roadside beauties that we all "ooh" and "ahhh" at this time of year, but wouldn't consider placing in our gardens--or would we? I wanted to get a picture of "cow parsely" in its glory--but I missed it's bloom time. It is one of my favorite of "nature's laces." I tried planting some this year from seed, but it didn't germinate. Will try that one again since I think it will add the perfect airy fill in that I need this time of year. The dusty millers below are the exception, not roadside flowers, they are a cultivated plant growing right outside our church. Also the mushrooms were ones I saw and insisted Rhiannon take a picture of them.

Being a lacemaker, I really appreciate the frothy whiteness of intricate flowers. One of my very favorites are the white spirea that we enjoy in abundance every spring. If you have read my Chrisitan love story, "The Fields of May," you will remember that the main character, Carrie, is fond of spirea and that flower figures into the story in a unique way. For a good picture of spirea check back on my May posts. There is a picture of me and the girls modeling our new dresses in front of my spirea. There is something about the combination of lace-like white and green that intrigues me. Whether it's fabric, dishes, or whatever, I LOVE IT!

God is the ultimate lacemaker! I might work for months on one project that I think is just the end in lacework, but then I realize that my Creator is the original lacemaker whose creations surpass anything I can do. After all, just look at a Queen Anne flower! So on this post, we feature His handiwork!

Each one of these pictures were taken by my daughter as we took a countryside journey one day last week. I included the mushrooms since their undersides are a complex network of lacy frills, and this is my "white post." I love that picture!

Today it is quite hot and humid here. We had a community church picnic and worship service to attend. It was wonderful, but I didn't want to be moving around too much! I should pick the wild black raspberries that are abundant in our fencerows, but I suspect it's a scorcher out there in the thicket as well as a mosquito haven with all the rain we've had. Maybe the black raspberry jelly will be more scarce around here this winter.....

Have a lovely Sunday and I hope you enjoy the roadside flowers this time of year! Stay tuned for more of Nature's Lace on another post. Blessings, LORI







1 comment:

  1. The pictures look awesome! Love the mushrooms...even if they are nasty little boogers!

    ReplyDelete