Monday, June 14, 2010

"ELEGANCE ON A SHOESTRING"



















Welcome to the first annual NCCF Tea
Party--"Elegance on a Shoestring." This year's theme was centered on how to have an elegant time amidst a downturned economy. Our church hosted this fun event last Thursday evening. About 5 ladies from our church hostessed tables, bringing their own dishes, tablecloths, napkins, and decor. It was very, very elegant!


The lovely tea was followed by an "I Got It At A Garage Sale," fashion show. Actually people modeled outfits they got at garage sales, thrift stores, or made themselves. We highlighted Proverbs, chapter 31 and talked about how this virtuous woman clothed herself and her family, yet 'her husband had no need of spoil.' Scripture describes her in ways that help us see that she was obviously very economical and yet elegant. We've heard lots of great comments about doing the tea again next year.

I personally believe that we women need "occasions" to dress up and feel special. It was almost like being a little girl again! And it is good for the little girls among us to have these special occasions too. Our world is constantly challening women and girls to be more aggressive and masculine. Occasions like our little tea party help to promote delicacy and feminity. So few of these events exist anymore for girls to practice social graces. You can see from the pictures that children's tables were included to make the party fun for the little ones. That was my mom's idea and a lady from church made placemats to color on and put crayons on both children's tables. Each little girl received a beautiful miniature china tea pot or cup to take home. Their tables had bowls of animal crackers placed at intervals for them to enjoy and apple juice was served so that they had a "tea alternative" that looked like real tea!

I wish I had gotten a better picture of the cream puff swans. I made them and sat them on a glass dish. Then I sat the dish atop three ice rings to keep them cool. I had frozen the ice rings in bundt pans a few weeks earlier, placing flowers in the water. The ice was a floral sea upon which the birds floated all evening! Take a longing look at some of the other elegant food! We also had a chocolate fountain.

The next few pictures are of the lovely tables. My tables are in the last table picture. Also there is a picture of me modeling my 1970's style prom dress made from 88cent/yard fabric that I found on closeout. The cuffs and sleeves were made from a lace curtain panel that I purchased at a thrift store in Nashville. I estimate the cost of the dress to be less than $20 not counting the pattern. I think I paid a dollar for my shoes, my purse was homemade crochet, and my shawl was a gift from a friend. All the models had lovely outfits that were inexpensive in some way. Our models ranged in age from 5 1/2 mos.--to 80 plus years. Baby Sophia (my youngest granddaughter) was the littlest model of the evening. Her aunt (only about 6, carried her down the aisle!)

It was a great evening celebrating God's goodness to us even amidst harder times. I wish you all could have been there! Blessings, LORI

2 comments:

  1. I do wish I could have been there. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the food was amazing and I had a lot of fun decorating my table and enjoying the party!

    ReplyDelete