Wednesday, November 18, 2009

MORE PICTURES OF TENNESSEE

Finally, here are the rest of the pictures we promised you from Tennessee! I am a fan of "sign pictures. And of course, these signs are advertising some of my favorite things---turnip greens! Only in the south!


Here's a picture of an old barn displaying the signs that I remember so well from my first few trips to the south. I love it!

Here I am with my new spinning wheel. This quaint old barn is on the property of the place where we stay in Tennessee. Isn't it lovely? We had just come home from church and decided to take a picture of the spinning wheel on this pretty day.

Doesn't this swing and pastoral setting seem to be inviting you to relax and enjoy the late fall day? This picture was taken out near the barn where I sat spinning. This pretty pond is full of giant catfish!

Here's a picture of the famous Carnton plantation near Franklin. The story of this home coincides with the story of the battle at the Carter House in town. I posted a picture a while ago of the Carter House cat, General Cheatham, remember? The stones you see in the picture are part of a large Confederate cemetery on the grounds. The house was used for a hopsital during the battle of Franklin. The wounded were brought here and they were put in every bed, chair, couch and all the floors throughout the house awaiting operations. The surgeons worked in front of windows using doors from the rooms placed upon barrels for operating tables. The surgeries went on non-stop for 2 days. The lady of the house graciously donated all but one room for the medical needs of the moment. Some bestselling books have recently been written about her and the dedication she had to keeping the graves and information about the men buried here. As I listened to her story, I wondered how many people nowadays would have the strength of character to allow their home to be completely taken over with bleeding bodies, ruining furniture and leaving permanent stained reminders of the carnage in the floors, then spend the rest of their lives caring for the memories of the victims. Surely these few hours of battle changed the lives of this particular family forever. You can't erase those kinds of scenes from memory. The bodies of four Confederate generals were placed on the front porch for the people to pay their respects as they passed by. Such tragedy. May we all learn lessons from those gone before us.

Just one of the very beautiful roadside scenes we photographed and enjoyed during our trip. The fall color was breathtaking.

Here is a sight we never see up north. This is a tobacco barn with the year's harvest drying inside.


BLESS THE LORD O MY SOUL, AND ALL THAT IS WITHIN ME BLESS HIS HOLY NAME! Psalm 103:1

This is one of my favorite passages of scripture--Psalm 103. It speaks of the complete redemption that was secured for me by Christ. I often pray these scriptures when sickness is threatening. I command my body to line up with the words of this scripture and "bless the Lord" by remaining healthy and operating properly, since "ALL that is within me," is supposed to be a blessing to His holy name!

I hope you're having a great week and enjoyed these pics. I have been quite busy with follow-up on my mom's surgery--dr.'s appointments and such. She had a little set-back and so I'd appreciate your continued prayers.

Just thought I'd share with you what I'm reading right now. In addition to the Bible, I am reading a history of the 19th Michigan Infantry to learn more about my Gr. Gr. Grandpa's unit in the Civil War. Still working on Emma's socks and finishing the final read-through of "A Sturdy Fence." Later this week, it will be out of my hands and into the realm of publishing! Hooray! Blessings, LORI


No comments:

Post a Comment